Does he know what he is doing?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Does he know what he is doing?

Post by Victrolacollector »

I was watching this video on You Tube....

https://youtu.be/ok2LYawq7D0

Fast forward to the demo, I can’t believe he put the arm down on the wrong side of the record wrong. This really is poor education for the new collectors.

Henry
Victor V

Re: Does he know what he is doing?

Post by Henry »

What a doofus! The entire presentation is a congeries of abysmal ignorance. Furthermore, it's stupid :roll:

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

There are hundreds of videos like this. Perhaps when you see one, you can educate the uneducated and send them a polite message explaining what's wrong. MOST people are very grateful for the polite advice, just saying.

Sean

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

OrthoSean wrote:There are hundreds of videos like this. Perhaps when you see one, you can educate the uneducated and send them a polite message explaining what's wrong. MOST people are very grateful for the polite advice, just saying.

Sean
I had thought the same, but in this case, there were already some public comments regarding errors. It is unfortunate. He seems like a nice enough person that just didn’t know much about these machines. Not a crime, but should maybe put a little more effort into research. On the plus side, the video may get someone interested.

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

I agree with, Sean, most people couldn't care less on how it works when they're just trying to sell it, and telling them doesn't hurt anything. But... People could put a little effort into Googling it before they look silly. I feel a man like him would obviously know the tonearm goes on the right side of the record.
Last edited by Benjamin_L on Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

I'm amazed the record even plays like that. Isn't there a flange blocking the arm from being turned that far? He must have quite a pile of shellac shavings built up after playing a record.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

What's worse is that the current youth generation (my kids included) now turn first to YouTube with any questions, and take what they find there as gospel unless it is so unconvincingly presented as to lose credibility. The people on there are called "influencers" and will say or do whatever they are paid to say or do.

Great recent example is this kid, daughter of an actress and the Target Mossimo guy, who was caught up in the college admissions scandal. Her parents scammed her into USC, and the scandal was blown by her ignorant online statements about not wanting or needing college, and allusions to her parents' scamming her in. She then lost several lucrative contracts.

So this guy is small potatoes, and will cause a few ruined records, but just another symptom of a greater ill.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I wonder if this video is one of the rare cases where putting the tonearm on the right side of the record is incorrect? :|

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4cPS3vpKkQs

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

AmberolaAndy wrote:I wonder if this video is one of the rare cases where putting the tonearm on the right side of the record is incorrect? :|

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4cPS3vpKkQs
Oh my. And playing at like 95 RPM.

Well again, educate the poster if it bothers you, or try. Not everyone wants to listen.

Incidentally, I watched with great pain the entire video of the guy with that VV-VIII. I stopped counting the mistakes and could do nothing more than laugh at his typical "dealer" type comments that the "low" (5000-something) serial number and condition meant a price of "hundreds". I have a perfect VIII that's cleaned, serviced, polished and ready for a new home that's far nicer than the one this guy posted I'd be glad to sell for $250 and no less. Don't y'all come running at once! 8-)

Sean

clevelander
Victor II

Post by clevelander »

Django wrote:
OrthoSean wrote:There are hundreds of videos like this. Perhaps when you see one, you can educate the uneducated and send them a polite message explaining what's wrong. MOST people are very grateful for the polite advice, just saying.

Sean
I had thought the same, but in this case, there were already some public comments regarding errors. It is unfortunate. He seems like a nice enough person that just didn’t know much about these machines. Not a crime, but should maybe put a little more effort into research. On the plus side, the video may get someone interested.
He is certainly getting people talking! :)