Show us your pedestals!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Show us your pedestals!

Post by fran604g »

Hiya folks,

Though technically not a talking machine (obviously, but I don't know if this post should be relegated to The Parlor), pedestals were and still may be an important part of proudly displaying a nice machine. I'm wondering what others here may have or still do use?

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Re: Show us your pedestals!

Post by fran604g »

Anyone? I'm hoping we can learn what others prefer to use, both vintage/antique and/or contemporary.

At this point my small collection of Victors includes a Johnson Type C, a pre-dog Type E front mount, and a Type E tapering arm. Eventually I hope to add a rigid arm E to the group.

I'm looking for inspiration in regard to adding a pedestal to one or more of them.

Best,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Not a real pedestal (I never happened to see things like a real period pedestal here...) but after a looong search I could spot and purchase in a town not so far this Imperial style bedside table, which was being sold as a single piece, and happened to be almost the exact size and quite the same colour of my HMV Monarch II. Being exceptionally tall in comparison to nowadays bedside tables, in my opinion it makes a fairly good pedestal-workaround.
Attachments
IMG_20180507_2229072.jpg

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Not a real pedestal (I never happened to see things like a real period pedestal here...) but after a looong search I could spot and purchase in a town not so far this Imperial style bedside table, which was being sold as a single piece, and happened to be almost the exact size and quite the same colour of my HMV Monarch II. Being exceptionally tall in comparison to nowadays bedside tables, in my opinion it makes a fairly good pedestal-workaround.
That looks great, Marco! I hadn't thought about a tall narrow cabinet, that's a great idea.

Best,
Fran

mtb8
Victor Jr

Post by mtb8 »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Not a real pedestal (I never happened to see things like a real period pedestal here...) but after a looong search I could spot and purchase in a town not so far this Imperial style bedside table, which was being sold as a single piece, and happened to be almost the exact size and quite the same colour of my HMV Monarch II. Being exceptionally tall in comparison to nowadays bedside tables, in my opinion it makes a fairly good pedestal-workaround.
nice combination and the horn looks amazing.
Mike

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Victor B.
Attachments
victorb1.jpg

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Wow Rene, that's stunning! Do you know who manufactured that incredible cabinet?

Best,
Fran

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

It's a great cabinet, and a Berliner-size machine fits absolutely perfectly. But it's not an original record cabinet. I'm not sure what purpose it originally served. The late Steve Farmer restored four of them as record cabinets. Even if it was not originally made for supporting a talking machine, it's period-correct and it sure works well for the purpose. (Unlike when I took those photos, it is now pretty much full of 7" records.)

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

It's a real masterpiece.

Best,
Fran

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

TinfoilPhono wrote:It's a great cabinet, and a Berliner-size machine fits absolutely perfectly. But it's not an original record cabinet. I'm not sure what purpose it originally served. The late Steve Farmer restored four of them as record cabinets. Even if it was not originally made for supporting a talking machine, it's period-correct and it sure works well for the purpose. (Unlike when I took those photos, it is now pretty much full of 7" records.)
Rene, If memory serves me right, weren't these four cabinets found in an old cigar store by the Oliphants..?. They are so cool and a Type B looks right at home on top. I wish I had one for my Type B.