What could it be!? Photos Added!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
bigshot
Victor II

Re: What could it be!? Photos Added!

Post by bigshot »

That's a very odd and eccentric machine. A door just to cover the crank hole? Where do you put the crank to close the door? Why is one side lower than the other? And the carvings on the doors cut in half. Very odd. It must be a one of a kind. It kind of seems that the person building it was making it up as he went along.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

What a remarkably ornate Frankenphone. I'd need an extension for my 10-foot pole if that was around here.

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

I dont understand why so many members on here are always putting down others pieces. I am excited and I wanted to share. Share the excitement or don't respond. Someone has always gotta pick at it and be negative.

Bigshot,
I don't know what you are looking at but the crank is used and then pulled out and clipped to the inside wall. Someone did mention it may have been electric but I talked to the owner and he said it was originally a crank phonograph BUT the mech was changed long ago to a standard victor console motor board. He also said it was higher off the ground. I confirmed that when I looked at the uneven cut feet. The piece is 2 heights because thats how it was made. I'm sorry it is a problem for you. As for the carvings, they are not cut in half. It is 2 separate drawers as seen in the photos for the desk pull out.

Peter,
It is not a frankenphone. It had a motor replaced as so many phonographs did. Im glad you have your 10' pole and would not touch it but I understand, not everyone can handle a restoration like this will need.

Silliness...
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

For those who dont have shared interest
I took apart the reproducer and it reads "Savoia Fonografola Manufactured by Oranges? Granges? Trade mark Chicago NY Boston Milano Napoli Torin."
Attachments
IMG_9112.jpg
Last edited by OldRestorer on Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

A frankenphone is a phonograph made up out of random parts, like this one. They can be fun, although some folks don’t like them.

You mentioned your wife dislikes this one, and I was merely expressing solidarity. Great thing about this hobby is that stuff that some of us love is completely uninteresting (or worse) to others of us, so plenty of room for all. Hope you can find room for this thing.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

It looks as if it was a secretary with a phonograph. Too bad the legs are gone, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

It'd be neat if some advertising turned up for it. Congrats!

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

It looks to me like it might have originally had a left side that matched the right side. And I agree, it probably had longer legs.

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

fran604g wrote:It looks as if it was a secretary with a phonograph. Too bad the legs are gone, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

Best,
Fran
IT sure would be nice to have a picture. Then I would have something to rebuild it by. There is NOTHING online for the reproducer. It does not exist. I am thinking I will copy the motif and maybe create legs to match. Then make a grill with a nice scallop shell to match the door and drawer carvings...
I just dont know if it should have an electric motor or a crank motor... Then what brand/type/ etc etc...

Skihawx,
I thought maybe it did too but it is a finished side with an overlap. It never had anything attached to it.

:)

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

OldRestorer wrote:
fran604g wrote:It looks as if it was a secretary with a phonograph. Too bad the legs are gone, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

Best,
Fran
IT sure would be nice to have a picture. Then I would have something to rebuild it by. There is NOTHING online for the reproducer. It does not exist. I am thinking I will copy the motif and maybe create legs to match. Then make a grill with a nice scallop shell to match the door and drawer carvings...
I just dont know if it should have an electric motor or a crank motor... Then what brand/type/ etc etc...

Skihawx,
I thought maybe it did too but it is a finished side with an overlap. It never had anything attached to it.

:)
I think it's a custom piece likely by by a known period furniture maker that used Heinemann parts. I think it was originally a crank machine otherwise there would be no need for the relocated crank hole. The reproducer is interesting but I'll bet it's Heinemann also. Would be nice to know what the mfr is that ends in "ranges". Looks like there should possibly be a first initial there too to me.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

I think it's interesting when phonographs are combined with some other practical thing... I can see ladies of the time saying, "Oh no! I don't want one of those MACHINES in my living room!" But they could be convinced if the phono was disguised as a table lamp, or it looked like a small piano, or if it had a built in writing desk. It's like the statue of the Venus di Milo with the clock in her belly. It isn't good enough to just have a statue... it has to serve some practical purpose. "We can enjoy the statue AND know when it's time for supper."

This one is particularly interesting because it appears to have been created in an evolutionary manner. The maker created the cabinet, and then had to figure out how to fit the phonograph in. There are little modifications all over that make me think it's a one off being designed as it is built, not a mass produced product. I can see a furniture maker who had a design for a writing desk that he adapted to graft a phonograph onto the side. I wonder if he originally intended to have a radio on the other side, but the buyer didn't want to spend that much money. Or perhaps it was a writing desk with wings on the side with cabinets to hold books and papers. Hard to say.

I did a little googling and I found what I think the writing desk part is supposed to be. It's based on a 16th century Spanish writing desk. This is probably similar to what the legs used to look like.

I couldn't find any sideboards or desks in this style that didn't have a flat plane across the whole top. I think the phonograph part was grafted onto an existing design for a Spanish style desk. The uneven top is a compromise to allow access to the phonograph. Notice the extra bit of carved molding in the back. I guess that keeps the sliding phono cover on track.
Last edited by bigshot on Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.