Need ID & info on Edison machine

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Big Beat
Victor O

Need ID & info on Edison machine

Post by Big Beat »

A friend picked up this Edison cylinder machine and turned to me for help, as he knows even less about phonographs than I do. His thing is music boxes, but he's excited about his first phonograph. I am somewhat less optimistic, because I can see that his Edison will definitely need some work. But again, while I have repaired a couple of Victrolas, my knowledge of cylinder machines is very theoretical. I simply don't know how to evaluate its condition other than the obvious (missing horn and cover, cabinet needs some help, etc.)

Based on these photos, what does he have and how much of a project does it appear to be? Thanks!
20181019_201154.jpg
20181019_201132.jpg
20181019_200959.jpg
Attachments
20181019_201135.jpg
20181019_201008.jpg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Need ID & info on Edison machine

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Looks like an Edison Standard Model B. Probably made between mid-1906-1909 since it has the script logo. If you post the serial number or PM George P. (Phonogfp) he will tell you what year and month it was made.
Last edited by AmberolaAndy on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Yes, this is an Edison Standard Model B, 2 min. machine. It looks like the crane came with the machine when new. Did it come with a horn? These are well made, robust machines. This should clean up very nicely.
Harvey Kravitz

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

"Looks like an Edison Standard Model B. Probably made between mid-1906-1909 since it has the script logo."

Yep, It's an Edison Standard Model "B" Phonograph...

It looks to be in good physical condition. The most important for running it is the condition of the gears and the mainspring. It will probably need a new leather belt as well. Use Sewing machine oil for the oiling of the gears.. Use Murphys oil on the wood cabinet to give it some life.. Mildly clean the bedplate with a damp cloth and them lightly polish it with Meguire's Scratch-X.

Do all that, and it won't even look like the same machine..

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

:o)
Last edited by NEFaurora on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The Model B Standard is one of the most trouble free of all Edson models. It sold in large numbers and is commonly found but has no weaknesses other than its limitations of being a two minute player. Many, but not the one featured in this thread, have had the additional gearing making them 2&4 minute players. Jerry Blais

Big Beat
Victor O

Post by Big Beat »

Thank you all, I'll pass on the info.