Odd Reproducer Identification ???

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lampman5
Victor Jr
Personal Text: ID Required

Odd Reproducer Identification ???

Post by Lampman5 »

Can anyone tell me anything about this reproducer?
Had it for many years and never knew who made it or what type of machine it would have been used on.
There is no name and no markings on the reproducer.

Thanks
Attachments
Photo 5223.jpg
Photo 5223.jpg (65.15 KiB) Viewed 850 times
Photo 5221.jpg
Photo 5221.jpg (56.01 KiB) Viewed 850 times
Photo 5220.jpg
Photo 5220.jpg (59.09 KiB) Viewed 850 times

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Odd Reproducer Identification ???

Post by OrthoSean »

It looks like the reproducer that came with my EMG Mk IX, except yours has some sort of modification to the back where the compression ring was originally. Perhaps this was modified to fit something else?

Sean

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Yes, it's an EMG 2-spring, how exciting! They came in several slightly different diameters.

Could it be that it's just clamped to a separate spigot tube of some sort, that's not part of it? If so and if it's been on there for many years, the rubber may have stuck fast to both surfaces and hardened - it may take some separating. The way to tell: is there a large knurled gland nut/ring the same colour as the back plate of the soundbox?
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Orchorsol wrote:Yes, it's an EMG 2-spring, how exciting! They came in several slightly different diameters.

Could it be that it's just clamped to a separate spigot tube of some sort, that's not part of it? If so and if it's been on there for many years, the rubber may have stuck fast to both surfaces and hardened - it may take some separating. The way to tell: is there a large knurled gland nut/ring the same colour as the back plate of the soundbox?
I thought there may be a bit of something clamped on there, but I just can't see for sure if there's that ring. It almost looks like there is one.

Sean

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Here is a more detailed photo of the back of one of the three sizes of EMG two-spring soundboxes. The under-exposed nature of your photo does not completely reveal the necessary detail but it could well be a standard box with an added aluminium spigot to fit another make of gramophone. A top-performing item and very desirable. Guard it with your life and, more importantly, use it ! They produce the best possible sound---when rebuilt.
Attachments
001.JPG

Lampman5
Victor Jr
Personal Text: ID Required

Post by Lampman5 »

Thanks Everyone for the information.

Years ago someone told me it was an EMG reproducer but slipped my mind. The aluminum sleeve on mine is just an add on that someone must of made to adapt to their machine.
The aluminum sleeve is stuck but no alterations to the reproducer.

Thanks Again

Steve