Sonora Hand Crank Phonograph - More Info Questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Kaptncoke
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Kaptncoke

Sonora Hand Crank Phonograph - More Info Questions

Post by Kaptncoke »

Looking to get more detail about a Sonora Hand Crank Model Phonograph. Unsure of the date, just any other information would be helpful, and a potential value. This Sonora belongs to my father who wishes to sell it, but I want to ensure I get an understanding of details and value before posting it online. Hoping the attached pictures will work, if not please let me know and I will try adding the pictures again.

Thanks,

Dana
Attachments
attachments.zip
(22.32 MiB) Downloaded 160 times
attachments2.zip
(19.25 MiB) Downloaded 72 times

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Sonora Hand Crank Phonograph - More Info Questions

Post by estott »

Sonora table model- these are nice but a bit bulky as table machines go. I'd say around $100

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Looks like a mice table made sometime around 1915. Mahogany would be the most common wood. Sonora was an off brand so it is not as commonly seen today. A comparable Victor model would be the Victrola IX. A nice mahogany Victrola IX in good working order is worth around $200. Your Sonora is worth about the same. Hope this helps.

Jerry Blais

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

It has a some of the earlier Sonora features so it probably dates around 1915 to 1918.(I do think it's a pre-1920 model.)

Sonora was founded around 1900 first making chimes for clocks, they later branched off into phonographs with the company entirely shifting to them a little later. Sonora would go on to be in the top 5 phonograph manufacturers by the early 1920s and are regarded as one of the best off-brands. The value can really depend on your location, but I've seen some table top Sonora's sell for around $100-$200 in good condition.