The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Amberola 1A motor problem
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:33 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:29 am
Posts: 1773
Location: Temecula, CA
Mike S. and I just got my mahogany Amberola 1A running again. I had not put a new belt on since I bought the machine about 2 years ago. After getting every thing lubed, it is playing two and four minutes records very well. But, unlike my other Amberola 1A in oak, when the stop mechanism shuts off the mandrel, the motor keeps whirring for awhile until the motor winds down. That is unless you turn the motor switch off. Again, the reproducer lifts and the mandrel stops spinning, but the motor keep running! Any cure for this? Also, is replacing the missing cylinder brush as simple as getting an old paint brush, cutting off some bristles, and gluing them in the empty ferrule? Thanks, Marc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amberola 1A motor problem
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:57 pm 
Offline
Victor VI
User avatar
Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:28 pm
Posts: 3622
Location: Česká Republika
Sounds like your belt is slightly loose Marc. Try shortening it just a bit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amberola 1A motor problem
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:07 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
We are only the caretakers for future generations.
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:55 pm
Posts: 932
Location: Oklahoma
I agree with Bruce,
You need to tighten your belt.

Bob S.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amberola 1A motor problem
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:44 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:29 am
Posts: 1773
Location: Temecula, CA
Thanks Bruce and Bob Z! I checked for a slipping belt by taking out the crank and reproducer and disconnecting the tone arm from the support. Then I lifted up the left side of the motor and used the strut to hold it up. Sure enough, when the the lift lever was pulled up stopping the mandrel, the belt was slipping on the drive pulley below the motor board. I think I saw on some Youtube video that Wyatt Markus recommended dampening the belt so that it would shrink a little bit making it a little tighter. If that wasn't Wyatt, then I apologize. Is dampening the belt when installing a new leather belt a good idea?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amberola 1A motor problem
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:59 am 
Offline
Victor VI
User avatar
Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:28 pm
Posts: 3622
Location: Česká Republika
marcapra wrote:
Thanks Bruce and Bob Z! I checked for a slipping belt by taking out the crank and reproducer and disconnecting the tone arm from the support. Then I lifted up the left side of the motor and used the strut to hold it up. Sure enough, when the the lift lever was pulled up stopping the mandrel, the belt was slipping on the drive pulley below the motor board. I think I saw on some Youtube video that Wyatt Markus recommended dampening the belt so that it would shrink a little bit making it a little tighter. If that wasn't Wyatt, then I apologize. Is dampening the belt when installing a new leather belt a good idea?


Check out Wyatt's video Marc. Someone hopefully can provide the link. I can't seem to find it. While generally following the instructions of the video, one thing I don't think he mentions that I find helpful is to (after slightly stretching the belt) install it slightly tight. As a result the motor might not move as freely as it should. If so, you can stretch with your fingers the belt small section by small section avoiding the splice of course. :monkey:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amberola 1A motor problem
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:52 am 
Online
Victor V
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:54 pm
Posts: 2605
Valecnik wrote:
marcapra wrote:
Thanks Bruce and Bob Z! I checked for a slipping belt by taking out the crank and reproducer and disconnecting the tone arm from the support. Then I lifted up the left side of the motor and used the strut to hold it up. Sure enough, when the the lift lever was pulled up stopping the mandrel, the belt was slipping on the drive pulley below the motor board. I think I saw on some Youtube video that Wyatt Markus recommended dampening the belt so that it would shrink a little bit making it a little tighter. If that wasn't Wyatt, then I apologize. Is dampening the belt when installing a new leather belt a good idea?


Check out Wyatt's video Marc. Someone hopefully can provide the link. I can't seem to find it. While generally following the instructions of the video, one thing I don't think he mentions that I find helpful is to (after slightly stretching the belt) install it slightly tight. As a result the motor might not move as freely as it should. If so, you can stretch with your fingers the belt small section by small section avoiding the splice of course. :monkey:


Here's Wyatt's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ao-VUTfv8

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amberola 1A motor problem
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:10 am 
Offline
VTLA
User avatar
TMF Moderator
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:36 am
Posts: 2547
Location: Delaware
My Edison A-80 still had the original stitched belt, but it was too loose and quite greasy when I got it. I read somewhere to soak and clean it in denatured alcohol and then let it dry to shrink it. It worked perfectly and is still driving my A-80.

Andreas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amberola 1A motor problem
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:20 pm 
Offline
Victor VI
User avatar
Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:28 pm
Posts: 3622
Location: Česká Republika
alang wrote:
My Edison A-80 still had the original stitched belt, but it was too loose and quite greasy when I got it. I read somewhere to soak and clean it in denatured alcohol and then let it dry to shrink it. It worked perfectly and is still driving my A-80.

Andreas


It's really amazing those machines can work at all with that rather skinny belt but they do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amberola 1A motor problem
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:54 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 8:20 pm
Posts: 1113
Location: Mid - Michigan
The 1a has the same belt tension adjustment as does a Triumph. There is a knurled nut at the front of the motor frame which, when turned will raise or lower the front of the motor and tighten or loosen the belt. Try this before making a new belt.

Jim


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 52089, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.