Amberola 1A motor problem

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Amberola 1A motor problem

Post by marcapra »

Mike S. and I just got my mahogany Amberola 1A running again. I had not put a new belt on since I bought the machine about 2 years ago. After getting every thing lubed, it is playing two and four minutes records very well. But, unlike my other Amberola 1A in oak, when the stop mechanism shuts off the mandrel, the motor keeps whirring for awhile until the motor winds down. That is unless you turn the motor switch off. Again, the reproducer lifts and the mandrel stops spinning, but the motor keep running! Any cure for this? Also, is replacing the missing cylinder brush as simple as getting an old paint brush, cutting off some bristles, and gluing them in the empty ferrule? Thanks, Marc.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Amberola 1A motor problem

Post by Valecnik »

Sounds like your belt is slightly loose Marc. Try shortening it just a bit.

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

I agree with Bruce,
You need to tighten your belt.

Bob S.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Thanks Bruce and Bob Z! I checked for a slipping belt by taking out the crank and reproducer and disconnecting the tone arm from the support. Then I lifted up the left side of the motor and used the strut to hold it up. Sure enough, when the the lift lever was pulled up stopping the mandrel, the belt was slipping on the drive pulley below the motor board. I think I saw on some Youtube video that Wyatt Markus recommended dampening the belt so that it would shrink a little bit making it a little tighter. If that wasn't Wyatt, then I apologize. Is dampening the belt when installing a new leather belt a good idea?

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

marcapra wrote:Thanks Bruce and Bob Z! I checked for a slipping belt by taking out the crank and reproducer and disconnecting the tone arm from the support. Then I lifted up the left side of the motor and used the strut to hold it up. Sure enough, when the the lift lever was pulled up stopping the mandrel, the belt was slipping on the drive pulley below the motor board. I think I saw on some Youtube video that Wyatt Markus recommended dampening the belt so that it would shrink a little bit making it a little tighter. If that wasn't Wyatt, then I apologize. Is dampening the belt when installing a new leather belt a good idea?
Check out Wyatt's video Marc. Someone hopefully can provide the link. I can't seem to find it. While generally following the instructions of the video, one thing I don't think he mentions that I find helpful is to (after slightly stretching the belt) install it slightly tight. As a result the motor might not move as freely as it should. If so, you can stretch with your fingers the belt small section by small section avoiding the splice of course. :monkey:

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Valecnik wrote:
marcapra wrote:Thanks Bruce and Bob Z! I checked for a slipping belt by taking out the crank and reproducer and disconnecting the tone arm from the support. Then I lifted up the left side of the motor and used the strut to hold it up. Sure enough, when the the lift lever was pulled up stopping the mandrel, the belt was slipping on the drive pulley below the motor board. I think I saw on some Youtube video that Wyatt Markus recommended dampening the belt so that it would shrink a little bit making it a little tighter. If that wasn't Wyatt, then I apologize. Is dampening the belt when installing a new leather belt a good idea?
Check out Wyatt's video Marc. Someone hopefully can provide the link. I can't seem to find it. While generally following the instructions of the video, one thing I don't think he mentions that I find helpful is to (after slightly stretching the belt) install it slightly tight. As a result the motor might not move as freely as it should. If so, you can stretch with your fingers the belt small section by small section avoiding the splice of course. :monkey:
Here's Wyatt's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ao-VUTfv8

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ao-VUTfv8[/youtube]

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

My Edison A-80 still had the original stitched belt, but it was too loose and quite greasy when I got it. I read somewhere to soak and clean it in denatured alcohol and then let it dry to shrink it. It worked perfectly and is still driving my A-80.

Andreas

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

alang wrote:My Edison A-80 still had the original stitched belt, but it was too loose and quite greasy when I got it. I read somewhere to soak and clean it in denatured alcohol and then let it dry to shrink it. It worked perfectly and is still driving my A-80.

Andreas
It's really amazing those machines can work at all with that rather skinny belt but they do.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

The 1a has the same belt tension adjustment as does a Triumph. There is a knurled nut at the front of the motor frame which, when turned will raise or lower the front of the motor and tighten or loosen the belt. Try this before making a new belt.

Jim