1928 Victor Electrola 12-15E

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ketron281989
Victor O
Personal Text: "Quality Seen & Heard"

1928 Victor Electrola 12-15E

Post by ketron281989 »

Hello all,

I recently "re-acquired" this 12-15E from a friend whom no longer wanted it in it's current un-restored condition. I wanted to share the unit as well as ask a few questions.

Original story: I acquired this machine from a modern residence back in Dec. 2013. The previous owner at that time stated he picked it up off the curb in downtown Cincinnati OH! I watched over the unit for several years until a close friend took interest. He acquired it two years ago. Within that time frame he did nothing with the unit except to have someone rebuild the pick up head. The unit was taking up too much space and long story short the unit is back in my possession to stay indefinitely.

My interpretation of the 12-15E model: Produced by Victor during the year 1928. Victor stopped production of this model in very early 1929 (likely once RCA took hold of the company). The unit is a phono only unit with plug in for a radio to be connected (to utilize the amp and speaker). I think 6,000 were made with a price tag of $550.00 new back then, that is a lot of money in 1928/1929.

The guy whom rebuilt the pick up head (while in possession of friend) destroyed the original finish of the metal cover (Picture 06 shows original finish). Thanks to a new friend, it was mentioned to use some "Brass blacking" chemical to darken the metal once again to match the tone arm. I have a spare original head on standby if this method is not satisfactory cosmetic wise matching to the tone arm. This 12-15E is all original and has never been serviced. No bolt or screw is missing on the unit, a true time capsule. A look inside will show. I took out the tubes for transport: 2x matching 81 half wave rect., type 50 output, (CORRECTED) type 26 amplifier. All Globe tubes. What a nice little time capsule. I plan on starting a restoration thread here on this forum coming this Fall.

**My questions: Are any metal items within this model gold washed as Victor was known to do during this time period? The tone arm and surround components are dark colored. Were any components gold colored from the factory new? Just how rare is this model? I have never seen another one.**

Judging by the serial number, this is a later example perhaps made closer to mid 1928. Serial number: 4977. There are two variations of RCA amplifiers used in this model. I think what is present is the later variation amp. The later variation solved hum issues present in early 12-15E amplifiers.

Excited to have this unit back in my possession again. I should have never sold it to begin with. I told my friend he was making a mistake! He wanted it gone and I said ok!

Jon
Attachments
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06 Before Picture.JPG
06 Before Picture.JPG (50.53 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
07 After Picture #1.jpg
08 After Picture #2.jpg
Last edited by ketron281989 on Mon May 06, 2019 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capehart

"The finest in music plus radio entertainment"

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: 1928 Victor Electrola 12-15E

Post by fran604g »

Wonderful and impressive in its originality, I look forward to seeing your restoration process. I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members here can answer your question(s).

Best of luck,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Very nice!!! Congrats. I hope Victrola Monkey sees your post. He is very knowledgeable on models like this.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

Just when you think you've seen everything something new and different comes along! Very cool!

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Fantastic score. The VE 12-15 is highly desirable. Not sure exactly why but maybe because I think it’s Victor’s most compact Electrola. You have the more desirable later style that comes with an amp (AP-736) that uses AC tubes versus the earlier amp (AP-997C) that uses DC tubes. The dark color metal parts is correct, no gold. I am currently rebuilding my first amps for two other Electrola models and then will progress to the rest of the electronics in those machines. This work is new to me, so my knowledge at this point is very limited. I do have two VE 12-15 Electrolas myself but it will be sometime late this year or next year till I get through the other Electrolas I plan to work on first, to work on them.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Jon, You can redo the coloring on those parts. Go to a stained glass supply store, or to Ebay, buy a small bottle of NOVACAN. This stuff is used to stain the metal parts of a leaded glass window. It comes in several colors, black, brown and grey. I use the black and brown. It will stain many metals including, copper, brass, aluminum, steel, iron and pot metal. It changes the color of chrome or nickel plate only slightly. Dilute it with water 50/50 for quick action, or with 10 parts water for very slow action. The part must be prepared before hand. Clean off any old finish. Polish, brush or sand to get the surface texture desired. Be sure the metal parts are clean of any oil before submersion in the solution. Watch it until the correct color is achieved then remove from the solution and rinse thoroughly in fresh water. When completely dry, rub on a coat of Watco Oil (any color) and place in a warm, dry place to dry (it takes Watco Oil about two weeks to fully set up, but it will go faster the warmer the environ). Cheers, Russie

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

That is a very nice and very desirable machine!
Congratulations!

Gene

ketron281989
Victor O
Personal Text: "Quality Seen & Heard"

Post by ketron281989 »

Thank you all for the comments. I am looking forward to starting this project soon. I will document this restoration here on the forum once started.

Wayne, you may remember. I purchased those door pull's off you via eBay a few years ago! They were the only things missing upon retrieving the machine in 2013. Thank you for the information!

Russie, appreciate all the help regarding. Another product I located several days ago "Brass Black". I will utilize your guidance on blackening the head-shell cover. Thanks!

Jon
Capehart

"The finest in music plus radio entertainment"

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Jon,

Oh my, It didn’t click that this posting was from you. I’m so imbarrassed. I know you have incredible electronics skills and knowledge that I can only dream to attain a fraction of. I will look forward to your restoration.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

With radio outstripping 78s at the time it was built I can't imagine many of these survived. Are there any date stickers on the tubes? Be neat to know when it was serviced.