1928 Victor Electrola 12-15E

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Governor Flyball
Victor II

Re: 1928 Victor Electrola 12-15E

Post by Governor Flyball »

Looking at the amplifier, isn't it the AZ-774B? I restored one of these and tube line up of the AZ-774B was UX250 output, UX-226 and a pair of UX281 rectifiers.

If yours has the UY227, you will be plagued with a one minute plus warm up time due to the inefficiency of the early indirectly heated tubes!

ketron281989
Victor O
Personal Text: "Quality Seen & Heard"

Post by ketron281989 »

Wayne, no problem! I have been following along regarding your electrical restoration. You perform excellent work!

Charles, stickers are not present on any of the tubes. I can tell you that at least three are original to this set. Notice the three with identical stamps shown below (#50, #81, #81). Likely a matched pair sold with the machine when new. Such an example is ultra rare to come by in today's world. Tubes were always swapped out. Especially if a set was heavily used or suffered a catastrophic failure. Of the 250+ radio/phonograph sets I have serviced in the past 12 years, only a few have ever had such a surprise inside. The small amplifier tube is a period tube and likely a replacement purchased sometime before 1932. By 1932 globe tubes were on their way out as the new ST style became the industry standard starting 1932 thru the late 1930's. Judging by the layers of dust seen on each tube upon first open up of the set back in 2013, it's likely tonight was the first light up for the tubes in decades. To my knowledge the machine has never been serviced. A true time capsule from 1928 inside and out!

"Governor Flyball", thank you for your inquiry. I was incorrect in my first posting. The amplifier tube is indeed a type 26. Thank you for mentioning!

Jon
Attachments
Three Matching R.C.A..jpg
Stamp.jpg
Globe Type 50.jpg
Capehart

"The finest in music plus radio entertainment"

electrolaman 64
Victor II
Personal Text: Look for the Dog

Post by electrolaman 64 »

The V stamping on the tube bases means they were installed at the Victor Factory and are original to the amplifier. What that is is actually V T M for Victor Talking Machine Company.

Carlton Smith
Last edited by electrolaman 64 on Tue May 07, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64

ketron281989
Victor O
Personal Text: "Quality Seen & Heard"

Post by ketron281989 »

electrolaman 64 wrote:The V stamping on the tube bases means they were installed at the Victor Factory and are original to the amplifier.

Carlton Smith
Carlton,

Thank you for your response. Very interesting to know these were installed at the factory and are original to the amplifier. Of all the years I have been collecting, this is the first time I have ever come across an original set of tubes for an Electrola Machine.

Jon
Capehart

"The finest in music plus radio entertainment"