Columbia Grafonola D2 - Odd Noise

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Columbia Grafonola D2 - Odd Noise

Post by Jerry B. »

I'd suggest you adjust the speed and play an acoustic record with a new needle and report back. If you have young eyes or a glass you can see a flat spot at the tip of a used needle when it is rotated in your fingers. Throw away used needles. Please report back to us.

Jerry Blais

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Could you post a photo of the reproducer. Some are made of pot metal and can be difficult to service. Others are easy. Most Grafonola tone arms are pot metal. The arm needs to move both side to side as well and un and down without friction. Is this the case with yours?

Thanks, Jerry

robthomas16
Victor Jr

Post by robthomas16 »

Jerry B. wrote:Could you post a photo of the reproducer. Some are made of pot metal and can be difficult to service. Others are easy. Most Grafonola tone arms are pot metal. The arm needs to move both side to side as well and un and down without friction. Is this the case with yours?

Thanks, Jerry

I ordered new gasket for the reproducer.

I'll send a photo tonight of the reproducer.

No problems at all with the arm. Moves really well. That was the only thing I knew when purchasing this was to check the arms movement.

robthomas16
Victor Jr

Post by robthomas16 »

Jerry B. wrote:Could you post a photo of the reproducer. Some are made of pot metal and can be difficult to service. Others are easy. Most Grafonola tone arms are pot metal. The arm needs to move both side to side as well and un and down without friction. Is this the case with yours?

Thanks, Jerry
Attachments
86E3D10B-7834-4313-930A-0AA99380462C.jpeg

robthomas16
Victor Jr

Post by robthomas16 »

Thanks, Jerry
Attachments
10FFA12B-2456-4AD3-9B66-7992DA7DDA71.jpeg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I believe your reproducer is pot metal but reasonably stable pot metal. The three small holes spaced around the face of the reproducer match with a tool that helps disassemble the reproducer. I do not have experience rebuilding this type of reproducer but I suspect other Forum members can give good advice on servicing.

Jerry Blais