Columbia Grafonola D2 - Odd Noise

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
robthomas16
Victor Jr

Columbia Grafonola D2 - Odd Noise

Post by robthomas16 »

Good evening Team,

This is all new to me and I bought a Columbia Grafonola Record model D2. It seems to make an odd noise when playing.

The plate doesn’t look to be rotating flat.

Should I replace the felt? Is there a way I can adjust the plate?

Any tips will help.

I added a video.
Attachments
024D263A-835C-4B13-9DC9-88BF4FC8761B.MOV
(9.09 MiB) Downloaded 772 times

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Columbia Grafonola D2 - Odd Noise

Post by Jerry B. »

It sounds like the turntable is brushing against something as it spins. I would lift up and remove the turntable and give it a test. I suspect there will be no noise, Make sure the screws that hold the motor to the underside of the assembly are tight, Any slack will allow the motor to sink a bit and possible allow the turntable to drag on something, If that is fine, I would look for something that could be pushed down slightly. Often a speed control arm or brake assembly can be pushed down to eliminate the rub. Most turntables wobble slightly so I doubt that is the reason.

Your Grafonola is a quality machine but the tone arm is prone to pot metal issues. As you hold the reproducer in your hand, you should be able swim it easily horizontally as well as vertically. If it resists movement it will increase wear on records.

Please let us know if any of my suggestions help. Welcome to the Forum.

Jerry Blais

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Any luck with my suggestions? JB

robthomas16
Victor Jr

Post by robthomas16 »

Jerry B. wrote:It sounds like the turntable is brushing against something as it spins. I would lift up and remove the turntable and give it a test. I suspect there will be no noise, Make sure the screws that hold the motor to the underside of the assembly are tight, Any slack will allow the motor to sink a bit and possible allow the turntable to drag on something, If that is fine, I would look for something that could be pushed down slightly. Often a speed control arm or brake assembly can be pushed down to eliminate the rub. Most turntables wobble slightly so I doubt that is the reason.

Your Grafonola is a quality machine but the tone arm is prone to pot metal issues. As you hold the reproducer in your hand, you should be able swim it easily horizontally as well as vertically. If it resists movement it will increase wear on records.

Please let us know if any of my suggestions help. Welcome to the Forum.

Jerry Blais

Jerry,

I tried everything here and the tone arm is in great condition. I believe its the turntable plate itself. Somehow it warped or has a bend in it. I'll attach a video to show.

Do you know if that is fixable, or just easier to buy a replacement?

Also, I really appreciate your help here.

robthomas16
Victor Jr

Post by robthomas16 »

Please see example video.
Attachments
B9C008A1-B971-4CFD-9566-D17BD69F262A.MOV
(7.07 MiB) Downloaded 582 times

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

When you remove the turntable does the spindle appear to spin true? If it's fine I have an extra Columbia turntable. It's a cast 12" turntable with many dime sized holes in the casting.

Jerry B.

robthomas16
Victor Jr

Post by robthomas16 »

Jerry B. wrote:When you remove the turntable does the spindle appear to spin true? If it's fine I have an extra Columbia turntable. It's a cast 12" turntable with many dime sized holes in the casting.

Jerry B.

The spindle does turn true yes.

Checked it a few times to make sure it wasn’t the motor.

robthomas16
Victor Jr

Post by robthomas16 »

Jerry, tried the turntable...no wobble like the last one so that’s great!

Still trying to figure out where that sound is coming from in the video

Sound like the control arm is making a skipping sound on the record every now and then.
Attachments
60019CE7-5CB9-4619-96A7-99DBA31F7357.MOV
(4.42 MiB) Downloaded 443 times

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I listened and wish others would also listen. When the turntable is spinning and the reproducer is not on the record is it reasonably quiet? When I listened to the record it sounds like it is going too fast. It's hard to understand the record and I suspect the gaskets in the reproducer are dry so you get extra unwanted noise and blasts.

Jerry Blais

robthomas16
Victor Jr

Post by robthomas16 »

Jerry B. wrote:I listened and wish others would also listen. When the turntable is spinning and the reproducer is not on the record is it reasonably quiet? When I listened to the record it sounds like it is going too fast. It's hard to understand the record and I suspect the gaskets in the reproducer are dry so you get extra unwanted noise and blasts.

Jerry Blais

Very quiet.

Am I able to take the reproducer apart? OR easier to buy and replace a new one?