Question about a Brunswick diamond stylus connection

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Question about a Brunswick diamond stylus connection

Post by Django »

I have a Brunswick Ultona reproducer. The diamond stylus connects to the diaphragm with what appears to be a thin cord. Mine is broken. Does anyone know what material the cord is made from and if these are available?

Thanks

Victor VI

Re: Question about a Brunswick diamond stylus connection

Post by 52089 »

I don't know specifically what it's made from on the Brunswick, but when the equivalent cord on the Edison Diamond Disk reproducer breaks, dental floss is a popular choice for replacement material.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

A very heavy monofilament fishing line, say, of eighty pounds test, is a good substitute as well for the Edison cords. The monofilament transfers vibration very well indeed and can work as a drawband on portable typewriters if you're going to use the other 50 yards left over. ;)

Good luck with your Ultona reproducer--those things are so neat!

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Thanks for the help. Dental floss would not have occurred to me, but seems logical. I have Fluorocarbon ukulele strings. I think that I will try one of those. I will share the result. The original seemed to be more supple. Maybe Kevlar thread would be a good choice.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I believe the original threads on Edison DD reproducers were made from braided silk thread. Not sure if Brunswick used the same?

Andreas

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

The Brunswick Ultona examples I have seen seem to be braided silk. Superbly designed reproducer with excellent performance although some suffer from being made from the dreaded pot metal. However, the quality seems to vary (presumably according to the preponderance of lead content) and many are fine.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

In my testing to create a diaphragm for the Edison disc machines I too used the dental floss which probably 8 years or more ago by now was considered a good choice. However its not easy to tie into a neat link an they tended to stretch over time throwing the stylus bar off of its level position. I still use two loops of button or craft thread for my True Tone versions. I know a lot of people don't, but again in testing it gives a clean and clear sound. I once bought reproduction links to see how they sounded. I hate to say it dulled the sound considerably. Not so easy to totally recreate things with new materials it seems.

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

Dacron fly fishing line.... stronger than strong and an excellent passive filter for high frequency surface noise.
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

MicaMonster wrote:Dacron fly fishing line.... stronger than strong and an excellent passive filter for high frequency surface noise.
That sounds perfect, thanks.