Edison B 80 table top

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
vansteem78
Victor II

Edison B 80 table top

Post by vansteem78 »

So someone found me this. It needs feet but otherwise looks great. Wondering someone said it was mahogany but it seems so light. I am used to extremely dark mahogany or even red mahogany. So do you all like it? Cost $250.00. Thoughts? Opinions? Price okay?
Attachments
b80 new 6.jpg
b80 new 5.jpg
b80 new 4.jpg
b80 new 3.jpg
b80 new 2.jpg
b80 new 1.jpg
b80 new.jpg

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Edison B 80 table top

Post by PeterF »

This has been completely refinished and altered. The tonearm and horn should be painted “wood grain” and the mahogany refinish is too light. They really don’t perform very well, and so if this is going to be your only diamond disc machine, it’s probably not the best bet.

Still, these are interesting machines, and it might be worth maybe $100, so try that as your offer.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Wow $100! If I could find machines at that price I'd probably have much more then the hundred machines I own now. I think they perform great. I have one in red mahogany and was blown away by the sound. These are wonderful machines. If I could find those kind of prices folks always mention I'd be buying many more machines. LOL as they say on facebook.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I say be careful what you wish for. Bring a truck here and I’ll give you a bunch of stuff for free.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Always check and compare the finish on the inside against the outside. They should be very similar with slight differences due to UV light, smoking, and other environmental issues. The outside of this cabinet probably showed wear. A well intended person stripped the exterior and stopped when they saw the attractive grain. The job was half done. If a finish coat was applied next it will require another stripping. Jerry B.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

PeterF wrote:I say be careful what you wish for. Bring a truck here and I’ll give you a bunch of stuff for free.
I have learned my lesson well. Honestly, if I were looking for a tabletop Edison Diamond Disc machine, I would go for a B-19. The B-19 has a more common motor with direct drive.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I have a B-80 and a B-60. The flaw with them is that they can barely get through a record side on one winding. Peter is correct that it is not a machine for serious playing of lots of DDs. I use my Beethoven or C-2 for that. But it has a nice look with the wood grained horn and the flush mounted turntable. And the belt drive is interesting, but not as good as the standard motor for playing DDs. It does make a nice display. Unfortunately the looks on this one are gone.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

PeterF wrote:I say be careful what you wish for. Bring a truck here and I’ll give you a bunch of stuff for free.
I don't think I have to worry because I do not drive and few deliver. I don't even have a driver's license not since 1976 or so! Neil