"Looking for the Band"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

"Looking for the Band"

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I think most collectors are familiar with the Edison advertisements featuring a drawing of a little boy with a hatchet, about to chop into an Edison Home while "Looking for the Band." There was even a three-dimensional paperweight version, and a stereoview showing a real child and phonograph. (I don't think that was made by the Edison company, so it a good indication that the promotion was well-known to the general public at the time.) The trade card was listed as Form 410.

What most people don't know is that there was an earlier version of this theme, Form 366, as a 30" wide paper folder with five photographs showing two little girls with a Home Phonograph. In the first photograph they are studying the machine; in the second one girl stares into the horn; in the third the other girl sticks her hand into the horn; in the fourth one girl looks at the machine while the other stares into the small end of the horn; and in the fifth they both examine the motor.

It's a cute tableau of images but apparently the sales department decided that such gentle curiosity didn't carry the impact of a boy about to destroy a phonograph while in search of the elusive band.

I've had this framed on my wall for over 20 years. I've never seen another. Anyone have one? Or has anyone seen any other versions of this early concept?

(Click the photo to enlarge it.)
Attachments
31390.jpg
looking-for-the-band.jpg

JimN
Victor I

Re: "Looking for the Band"

Post by JimN »

This is the first I've heard of these girls. Where did you find this picture?

Jim Nichol

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

I've owned this original March 1903 trade card for many years. It features two little girls examining the desirable red banner (on the cabinet bottom) model A Edison Home Phonograph with "Looking For The Band" caption.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_4742.JPG
IMG_4741.JPG
IMG_4740.JPG

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I love that trade card! That's photo number 4 in the tableau on my very large fold-out sheet. I have to assume that the large form was meant only for store display and not public handout. Edison was clearly still searching for just the right image.

I got this from a very well-known collector who has been in the hobby nearly as long as myself.