Edison Cylinder player ID

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
poppysue67
Victor Jr

Edison Cylinder player ID

Post by poppysue67 »

I need help to identify the model of this machine. It belonged to my Dad and I want to sell it, so it would would help if I know what I have. It says Edison Standard Phonograph type D inside the lid. He has a booklet for Edison GEM that I assumed goes with this. The model number on the metal plate is 509423. It seems too work ok, the horn is probably a reproduction. Is there anything I should be checking out on the inside?
Attachments
IMG_1450.jpg
IMG_1450.jpg (143.4 KiB) Viewed 793 times
IMG_1447.jpg
IMG_1447.jpg (91.71 KiB) Viewed 793 times
IMG_1451.jpg
IMG_1451.jpg (70.86 KiB) Viewed 793 times
IMG_1446.jpg
IMG_1446.jpg (102.19 KiB) Viewed 793 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison Cylinder player ID

Post by phonogfp »

The machine is a Standard Model B, with the lid from a Model D. It's a two-minute machine. The Gem was an entirely different model, unlike any other in the Edison line.

Without a picture of the motor, it's impossible to offer intelligent advice, but lubrication of the all bearings (especially the governor bearings and pads) with a quality sewing machine oil (no "Three-In-One") will help if it's dry.

Hope this helps.

George P.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

You have an Edison Model B Standard. It plays only two minute cylinders. This lid may fit and look good but it's from a slightly late Model D Standard that plays both two and four minute player. The Gem is an all together different model. I suspect the 14" horn is a replacement. It looks like someone repainted the black deck and the striping is way too thick. If you use the search feature of our Forum there are various thread suggesting what maintenance you can easily perform.

There is a very large phonograph sale near Chicago at Union, IL in early June. I will be there with two very clean Edison Standards that have been serviced and are ready to enjoy. They have replacement horns and will be priced around $350.

Jerry Blais

poppysue67
Victor Jr

Post by poppysue67 »

Ok. Yes, that helps. Now I also have this one. Would this be the GEM? Are the lids mixed up?
Attachments
IMG_1457.GIF
IMG_1457.GIF (8.07 MiB) Viewed 769 times
IMG_1458.jpg
IMG_1458.jpg (100.91 KiB) Viewed 769 times
IMG_1459.jpg
IMG_1459.jpg (93.01 KiB) Viewed 769 times

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I'm not trying to be snide, but what does the case say on its front? Standard.

This is what a typical very commonly found Gem looks like (generic image from the www):
Attachments
17212855_3.jpg
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

poppysue67
Victor Jr

Post by poppysue67 »

Ok. Sorry to be stupid but I'm not a collector. My Dad was. I assumed one of these was a gem because I have the paperwork for Gem. So they are both Standards? Same models?

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

poppysue67 wrote:Now I also have this one. Would this be the GEM?
Your other one is also an Edison Standard model B with a reproduction 'banner' decal.
poppysue67 wrote:Ok. Sorry to be stupid but I'm not a collector.
Please don't feel that way. Ask all the questions you need. :)

Doug

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

They are both Edison Standard Model "B" Machines.. The first one is probably a 1906-1907 Model.. It has a restored bedplate, but the Top wooden lid bedplate holder has some damage and the horn is a repro.

The 2nd machine is probably a 1905 Model "B" Edison Standard. This machine also has a re-painted/restored bedplate, but the original case is in good shape and the unit seems to have its Original Horn. This 2nd machine is definitely the most valuable of the two machines.

Neither of the two machines have anything to do with the Edison GEM other than being made by the same company.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

poppysue67
Victor Jr

Post by poppysue67 »

Thank you. That's what I need to know. Is there anything special I should do for shipping? Besides proper packing. I assume take the crank off. What about the reproducer? Is it Ok to leave in place?

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

poppysue67 wrote:Is there anything special I should do for shipping? Besides proper packing. I assume take the crank off. What about the reproducer? Is it Ok to leave in place?
Remove the reproducer and crank from any phonograph that you're packaging and shipping. Wrap them separately in bubble wrap. You'll also want to make SURE to secure the carriage in place so it cannot move during transit. Good luck.

Doug