Class M ??? What the....

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Class M ??? What the....

Post by fran604g »

Garret wrote:Now imagine if the modification were period. I would actually find that quite interesting.

Garret
I sent a message asking for images of the underside, specific to the motor (as I'm sure others probably have, too), if I get a response, I'll post any images I receive from the seller. I see he or she has "zero" seller feedback.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

I'm not sure this was originally a Class M cabinet. If this was a Class M cabinet the cutout for the motor would have been farther to the left of where it is now. There is no sign of this hole. Still an awesome cabinet. Compare to this H&S Class M setup:
Attachments
classm.png

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I heard back from the seller a little earlier.

Here's his message:

"Hi

I'd like to apologise to everyone who took an interest or bid on my phonograph. I am quite new to eBay selling and not at all sure of the procedure, I received an offer on May 10th which I accepted, but this did not register on the system. This evening, eBay's helpline talked me through what to do and recommended that I simply close the auction. I'm sorry if I have wasted your time - I should probably stick with 19th Century technology, Nick."
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

I find it hard to believe that the conversion was a recent one. The straight tone-arm (apparently from a 'hornless' model) and the mica-diaphragm sound-box must be ninety or more years old. Why would anyone in our day use such elderly components to turn a rare phonograph into a bulky and acoustically indifferent internal-horn gramophone? (Incidentally, I wonder where the horn goes. Perhaps one of the drawer fronts is now a dummy and lifts out to release the sound, such as it is.) I feel it is much more likely that the work was done in the 1920s or 1930s when the original machine was no more of a collectable item than (say) a black-and-white television of the 1960s would be today.

I suspect that this machine will turn up again in a few years, restored to something like its original form (perhaps using parts from a late-ish Spring Motor) and with a five-figure price attached.

Oliver Mundy.