Help model identification and year of gramophone Columbia

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Help model identification and year of gramophone Columbi

Post by gramophone-georg »

This may or may not mean anything... but years ago I had an outside horn Columbia Europa with a similar Columbia big note Columbia Records decal. It was most definitely original to the machine.

Europas were assembled in USA from Lyric (Germany) parts. This machine looks very similar in many ways but with a different horn elbow. I'd say Assiel has an authentic machine along quite similar lines.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I am with George--my vote is for authentic or at least worthy of fixing. Columbia used a lot of odd parts and made some odd machines. Considering we're dealing with a company which hid serial numbers in the motor castings and used decals instead of data-plates, yes, an oddity or ten should appear every so often.

The problem here is the termites.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:I am with George--my vote is for authentic or at least worthy of fixing. Columbia used a lot of odd parts and made some odd machines. Considering we're dealing with a company which hid serial numbers in the motor castings and used decals instead of data-plates, yes, an oddity or ten should appear every so often.

The problem here is the termites.
It's not a tough cabinet to reproduce, and with today's computer graphics the decal could likely be reproduced as well. Gregg Cline might be able to help with that.

I forgot to point out that the turntable looks Columbia/ Lyric and the Europa crank construction was the same but with the more round Columbia knob.

I think what we are looking at is a rare Columbia/ Lyric variant.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek