Victor VI cabinet identification

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Re: Victor VI cabinet identification

Post by travisgreyfox »

Phonolair wrote:Although they can be hard to find. The mahogany cabinets with the fluted corners and gold capitols make for a great matching setup.

Larry Crandell

It seems like record cabinets are harder to find than the machines themselves. Would that be because just tons more victrolas were made or because people just got rid of their cabinets because they more bulky taking up too much room with no other practical purpose?

I would like to find any record cabinet in the wild to purchase, but I just never find/see any for sale.

dbwest
Victor Jr

Post by dbwest »

JerryVan wrote:
dbwest wrote:Hi John,

Basically, I was wondering if Talking Machine Company and Herzog were the only producers of cabinets considered to be a "correct" or "matching" companion to the Vic VI

Thank you for helpful information, photos and book reference!
The only "correct" cabinet would be one that's made of mahogany and of an appropriate size for a VI. Yes, as you've learned, some companies offered cabinets meant to be specifically complimentary to a Victor VI, (as well as cabinets for other Victor models). It's nice to have one of those, but to not have one would not be considered "incorrect". Perhaps the more correct term would be "appropriate".

And, by the way, the photos that folks would like you to post, are those of your phonograph. We understand that you have no cabinet to post photos of. While we all know what a Victor VI looks like, it's always fun to see a newly found example.
I would be happy to share photos of the Vic VI :)
I will do so shortly on a new thread related to the machine itself, as opposed to the cabinet.

Dino

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Eduardo, in Lima Peru used to make beautiful reproduction base cabinets for the VI. Does he still make these cabinets and does anyone have a link to his web site?

Thanks