Victor VI cabinet identification

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dbwest
Victor Jr

Victor VI cabinet identification

Post by dbwest »

Hello everyone!

I am new here as a result of coming across a VI!!! It was sitting on top of a VV-XI cabinet.

I have already been conducting some research into cabinets and understand the matching piece is quite rare.

Hoping someone can help me understand if Herzog and Talking Machine Co. were the only manufacturers of the "correct" cabinets to match the Victor VI, or were there others?
I am assuming these cabinets did not have a ID tag referencing Victrola... or did they?

Thanks!

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Re: Victor VI cabinet identification

Post by Ripduf1 »

Hi, I am not exactly sure what the question is -

1. Yes others made cabinets that a Victor VI can sit on. The "Talking Machine Company of Chicago" marketed a cabinet specifically as "The Cabinet that Matches".
2. To my knowledge they did not have name tags, and they did not say Victrola.

You should purchase the Fabrizio & Paul book called "Gadjets, Gizmos & Gimmicks" It details many of the variations of cabinets that can work under a Victor VI (not Victrola VI).

Here are a couple that I have and had in my possession. The darker one is Herzog, I am unsure of the maker of the other, but my VI fit the top molding perfectly.

Herzog made many other cool cabinets that would go nicely under a Vic VI.

John
Attachments
IMG_2556.JPG
IMG_1520.JPG
Horns rolled and straightened

dbwest
Victor Jr

Post by dbwest »

Hi John,

Basically, I was wondering if Talking Machine Company and Herzog were the only producers of cabinets considered to be a "correct" or "matching" companion to the Vic VI

Thank you for helpful information, photos and book reference!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The Salter Manufacturing Company also offered record cabinets for the Victor VI. I suspect there were others among the various cabinet manufacturers, especially from the Cadillac Cabinet Company, Douglas Phonograph Company, Humphrey Bookcase Company, George A. Long cabinet Company, Lyon & Healy, Musical Echo Company, Pooley Furniture Company, or the Udell Works. Unfortunately, many surviving record cabinets are unmarked.

George P.

dbwest
Victor Jr

Post by dbwest »

Hi George,

Thank you for the info!

So it would appear that one must try to find reprints of the original catalogs in order to obtain visual references. I am hoping to find some references in the book suggested by John.

I also just discovered that Victrola didn't make a specific cabinet for the external horn models like the Vic VI.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

dbwest wrote:Hi George,

Thank you for the info!

So it would appear that one must try to find reprints of the original catalogs in order to obtain visual references. I am hoping to find some references in the book suggested by John.

I also just discovered that Victrola didn't make a specific cabinet for the external horn models like the Vic VI.
Fyi, (in case you're not aware) George is the author of the book mentioned by John. :)

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

dbwest wrote:...

Forum member Shawn O'Rourke offers excellent reprints of several catalogs for phonograph cabinets. He even offers them at half price this month. Here is a link to a recent post. Make sure to download the attachment "Paper Pages.pdf" with the complete list. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=40202

Andreas

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

When I think of a "matching" cabinet I think of a cabinet that was made for a specific machine. John's second photo shows a cabinet with trim used to define the area where the specific machine is placed and it should take up that entire area. Please show us a photo of your Victor VI and cabinet. Jerry B.

dbwest
Victor Jr

Post by dbwest »

fran604g wrote:
dbwest wrote:Hi George,

Thank you for the info!

Fyi, (in case you're not aware) George is the author of the book mentioned by John. :)

Best,
Fran
Ha! I had no idea, but it looks like I am on the right track! :D

dbwest
Victor Jr

Post by dbwest »

Just wanted to express my appreciation to everyone who provided the great info to get me headed in the right direction.

Thank you!

Dino