Vitanola Type 10 help

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
RSStone
Victor O

Vitanola Type 10 help

Post by RSStone »

Starting a restoration on a Vitanola Type 10, came to me in pieces, 3 boxes and 4 ziplock bags... Have had no luck finding a replacement decal first off so if anyone knows anybody that might have one I'd appreciate being put in contact with them, I will add a picture so you know the style I need. That's a small problem because the owner is o'kay with keeping the old or having none at all, my biggest problem is finding a picture of a working turntable stop/brake, the one on this machine is obviously missing pieces and I have been unable to find any drawings or pictures of one to see what I'm missing, so if anyone has one and wouldn't mind posting a picture I would much appreciate the help!!
Mine
Mine
my decal
my decal
vitanola decal.jpg (125.41 KiB) Viewed 1557 times

RSStone
Victor O

Re: Vitanola Type 10 help 'Solved'

Post by RSStone »

Finally found a picture, really simple, was only missing a spring... Not much tension so will be interesting to see how well it functions.
IMG_20190529_141518.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Vitanola Type 10 help

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Good job so far. We'd probably be able to chime in better with some pictures of your new Vitanola. Not many off-brands survive with documentation. They're usually built from generic parts in interesting cabinets.

Some pics might help--but that brake looks a lot healthier. Good luck saving a machine most people would toss--that's the fun part of the hobby!

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »

Finished the Vitanola except the decal, we're saving finish coat on the back lid panel in hopes of getting one in the near future. And BTW, Every piece of original wood was used, the grill came in 3 big ziplock bag's and was re-assembled like a jigsaw puzzle using a mahogany sawdust and wood glue mixture then sanded and refinished as usual, and only 1 new piece of veneer was used to top it all off, I tried to salvage the original but it was beyond repair unfortunately... All the warped wood was lightly steamed and clamped to leave them all straightened and ready for no pressure assembly, and I had to manufacture an elbow and sleeves to replace the shattered pot metal original on the tone arm.
100_4786.MOV
(37.04 MiB) Downloaded 551 times
Vitanola after.MOV
(22.31 MiB) Downloaded 544 times

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Sounds like you are doing a great job. Can you post pictures of any before and after of it?

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »

Phono-Phan wrote:Sounds like you are doing a great job. Can you post pictures of any before and after of it?
I have about 50-60 pics, but posted the before and after video's above to save a little time. You can also check out my Facebook business page, True restorations: Antiques & More, to see more details.

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

Did you remove the decal?

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »

Benjamin_L wrote:Did you remove the decal?
Unfortunately yes, I argued with the customer for a month to no avail. He's determined that someone will make a replacement decal some day and then he'll have me put it on...

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Well, if that's happened, try contacting Gregg Cline at phonodecal.com and see about a custom printing. They're really easy to put on and look as good or better than originals!

That Vitanola is turning out beautifully! I watched your videos--around here that poor machine would have ended up starting a fire-place and the parts would have gone in a dumpster or in a box so after the estate sale they can be thrown away anyhow. You're probably the best thing that happened to that phonograph in the last hundred years.

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

RSStone wrote:
Unfortunately yes, I argued with the customer for a month to no avail. He's determined that someone will make a replacement decal some day and then he'll have me put it on...
Ouch, that hurts.