1899 Edison Ajax - Class M Coin Slot Concert Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mlund2020
Victor II

Re: 1899 Edison Ajax - Class M Coin Slot Concert Phonograph

Post by Mlund2020 »

AmberolaAndy wrote:Breathtaking! Do you own a phonograph museum? How did you find so many desirable and rare machines!? :shock:
It is just my private collection from about 30 years of collecting. I have been fortunate to be able to check a number of things off my wish list over the years thanks to the help of many fellow collectors, auction houses and far too few ‘in the wild’ finds. My ‘want’ list still far exceeds my ‘have’ list, and my ‘don’t know’ list far exceeds my ‘know’ list, which is what keeps the hobby interesting and exciting for me. I have been blessed with an understanding wife who, while she doesn’t share my passion, she puts up with my collecting neurosis.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Mike, what an amazing machine and piece of history. Thank you for preserving it for posterity. In your video, is it running on battery power, or is the cell in the cabinet for looks only? If on battery, how long will it play before the battery is depleted? Pardon my ignorance, but I know next to nothing about this early technology.

CharlieP

Mlund2020
Victor II

Post by Mlund2020 »

CharliePhono wrote:Mike, what an amazing machine and piece of history. Thank you for preserving it for posterity. In your video, is it running on battery power, or is the cell in the cabinet for looks only? If on battery, how long will it play before the battery is depleted? Pardon my ignorance, but I know next to nothing about this early technology.

CharlieP
There is a DC transformer hidden in the Edison battery jar. So while it originally ran on 2.5v Edison battery, it is now powered by AC current powering a 6v DC transformer concealed in an original Edison battery jar to give a look of authenticity.
Last edited by Mlund2020 on Sat May 18, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

That is a bucket list item for me as well. You are lucky to have obtained one.

Paul does such an awesome job - we are very lucky to have guys like him and Wyatt in the hobby.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

Mike,
You did a great job on the video! It allows other collectors to get a good look at this spectacular machine.

tictalk
Victor II

Post by tictalk »

Neat machine , and top notch restoration work, enjoy!

phonospud
Victor I
Personal Text: Expert antique musical box & phonograph repairs for 40 years

Post by phonospud »

Thanks for posting this! I cannot say enough good things about Paul's work. I saw this particular Edison Ajax transform over a few visits to Paul's shop. Paul and I have worked together on many projects over the last 35+ years, and I can tell you with all certainty that no one in the hobby does finer restoration work on anything. Paul's work is second to none. It's as if he has all the original factory blueprints in front of him, and he follows them to the letter. His abilities to re-create period correct colors and finishes on wood cases,cabinets, and metal parts, all look like they're mint original finishes. This is because Paul carefully researches all the micro details regarding any particular machine, how it was produced, and re-creates what was done originally, apology free.
Yes, there are many good and competent repair people out there, and I'd like to include myself in this category, but there are few, very few, who meticulously strive for perfection to the level that Paul does.
Over the years, I have learned a lot from Paul, especially from his kindness, generosity, and willingness to help others. He says it has been very reciprocal, with me, sharing various machining methods and musical box restoration techniques, but I feel that I've learned much, much more from him. Paul is a good Christian, honest, straight up guy, and has taught me much, in and out of the hobby. I'm very proud to call him my best friend.
This Ajax is most likely one of the finest examples known to exist, now that it has been "Bakerized". I've restored two of them and I know what a monumental job it is when these machines need a total rebuild. This Ajax is only the tip of a huge iceberg of machines that Paul has not only brought back to life, but in a lot of cases, restored to museum quality, sometimes, better than new. Many rare replica parts, accessories, and even complete machines have been made readily available to collectors around the world thanks to Paul's efforts. We cannot thank Paul enough for his contributions to our hobby.

You will never regret having Paul restore anything for you!
Finest in music box and phonograph restorations for over 40 years