ZON O PHONE model A strange sound box

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fmblizz
Victor IV

ZON O PHONE model A strange sound box

Post by fmblizz »

Does anyone in the forum have any information on this reproducer. It came on a Zonophone Model "A" I have the original box with it.

please see pic's

Thanks in advance..
Attachments
zono 3.jpg
zono 3.jpg (235.74 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
zono 2.jpg
zono 1.jpg
Last edited by fmblizz on Sat May 18, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phonomark
Victor II

Re: ZON O PHONE model A sound box

Post by Phonomark »

This is not a Zonophone reproducer.

I believe that it is an Eldridge Johnson New Century reproducer that was marketed as a "Standard Sound Box" for those customers who wanted to upgrade their gramophone from a closed-face Berliner J reproducer or Zonophone closed-face reproducer (that would have originally been on the Zonophone Model A). The reproducer is exactly like a New Century reproducer (including the needle bar) except for the paper label behind the diaphragm.

Nice condition and nice box too!!

-Mark

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Thanks Mark,,, Can always count on somebody in this group for the answers... I knew from the get go that this was not originally with the Model A but even with the dried out gaskets it didn't sound half bad.. I know I have to rebuild it so good to know that there is actually or probably a paper label under the diaphragm so extra precautions are needed..

Blizz

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Yeah, it looks very much like the New Century reproducer. I really like the original box. I have never seen one. Are there any more labels on it?

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

no other labels on the reproducer box... the machine, was in an early makeshift box along with the reproducer. The horn was separate in a horn sock... don't know if that was original or not but it certainly has a lot of age..

I'm thrilled,,,, wife's pissed but what's new... LOL

blizz
Attachments
horn sock.jpg
zp3.jpg
zp2.jpg

fmblizz
Victor IV

Re: ZON O PHONE model A strange sound box

Post by fmblizz »

yep,,, had to polish the horn,,, believe it or not,, the previous owner had glued green felt on the entire horn... wish I took a before picture.... actually didn't look bad but I certainly couldn't live with it.

Took a few hours but came out nice.. now it needs some aging again..

blizz
Attachments
hornfelt.jpg

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

124 views and only Eagle Eye Phonomark picked up on the fact that the reproducer setup was on the wrong side... Since I've only owned this machine for less the 12 hrs, I was anxious to post a couple pic's to go along with the sound box question and totally blew it...

You guys are slipping LOL

blizz

fonograph
Victor II

Post by fonograph »

I bought a Zono A with the standard sound box too.

Here's a link for more info.
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... +sound+box

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

wow that was quite a thread on your machine 5 years ago. The serial No. on my machine is 7113 so it would appear to be not that early... the machine is in excellent condition to may eyes.

George Paul states that the reproducer appears to be an extremely rare upgrade to the inferior sounding original sound box that came with these machines yet my machine appears to be of a later vintage which came with an offset support arm as well as a leather elbow.. I'm not sure weather this upgrade is a plus for the machine or not but extremely happy to have this soundbox with it's original box.

I'm including a picture of the bedplate, elbow and position of the support arm..

Hoping the George or Rene will chime in on this discussion...

Thanks again for your link to the original thread.. Feeling very lucky with this recent purchase..

Blizz
Attachments
elbow.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

fmblizz wrote:
Hoping the George or Rene will chime in on this discussion...
I don't really have anything to add to what I offered in the 2015 thread, except congratulations!

George P.