Help! Attic Find Victor II Type M Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Garret
Victor IV

Help! Attic Find Victor II Type M Phonograph

Post by Garret »

Hello!

I'm usually lurking in the woodwork, but I have a new find and a few questions! I recently came across a Victor II type M in Richmond, VA. I bought it from a fellow who's grandma bought it new in 1907, and she played it for several years. The phonograph was then stored in a crawl space for another 80-90 years. You can find some pictures attached. Now I want to restore it, and here's where I would appreciate your help.

1. How should I clean the cabinet? It's covered in mold, but I think a nice finish is beneath it. I have to get rid of the mold before I can bring it in the house.
2. What is the best way to clean the nickel plating? Should I try buffing? The nickel may or may not still be there, but I have to try!
3. What is the Exhibition reproducer missing? This seems to be the one before the triangle hole for fiber needles, and I've never had one.
4. What is the best way to clean the horn? Can yo you wax it? If so, how, and with what waxing compound? The original paint is mostly good, and I would like to save it!

You can see the record that was on the turntable; just a lot of dirt!

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Help! Attic Find Victor II Type M Phonograph

Post by gramophone78 »

#1) I have always found "Fantastic" sprayed on paper towel or towel to be the best to remove mold and cigarette film the best without hurting the finish. Again, you must spray onto a towel and not directly onto the wood. Once the towels become cleaner....you can than apply a nice paste wax to shine.
#2) Do not buff the nickel. This will very easily remove any and all nickel that remains. Polish by hand and from the pics....I would say the corrosion has gone into the plate. In other words.....too far gone to bring back in a near perfect result.
#3)The needle chuck appears to have been twisted to the side. The round hole chuck is the way they were made. The triangle was added later for fiber needle use.
#4) After looking over your horn over again, I would just use a slightly damp "water" cloth to remove all the loose,dry dirt & dust first. Than if the results look good and clean. I would use a nice paste wax to remove any remaining grime and bring to a shine. Avoiding the decals at all cost.
You can gently wipe the decal with a clean lightly damp "water" cloth. However, I would make sure the decal is not flaking, etc... first. If the decal is flat and appears stable. A light wipe should be just fine.

Please note on #1. You will want to change towels often to keep a clean wiping surface... ;).
Good luck and have fun..... :D.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Garret, What an exciting find! You truly have an "untouched" machine that probably has not been played since Hoover was President. I've always thought the humpback Victor II has everything you'd want in a talking machine. It's fairly small, has tons of style, and a very adequate motor. Gramophone78 has given you good advice. How about some photos as you move along? Jerry Blais

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

Congratulations! The kind of find we all dream of.

Now, why ren't there any attics like that where I live?

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Congratulations! I have the exact same machine, but mine was in a lot worse shape than yours is. I agree with what was said before, I would just clean and wax everything. It should come out great. I used GoJo to clean my Vic.II and it worked quite well. Please share pictures through the process.
Thanks
Andreas

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Garrett,

I agree with everyone else that Gojo is the way to go to clean the cabinet!
It cleans the dirt but doesn't harm the finish. You may need to clean it several times to get out all the dirt.
I have included a picture of a project machine I am working on to give you an idea of what Gojo can do.
(Just make sure you keep it away from decals, it'll destroy them in no time flat!)

I've had great luck cleaning years of gunk off of metal parts by using Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner and a toothbrush.
Just make sure the parts are removed from the machine, because Scrubbing Bubbles will hurt the finish.

The back bracket is tricky, because fantastic will clean it, but it will also take off the stripes and dry hazy white.
I just use car wax and go over it a few times to get it clean, (don't get over zealous and rub off the stripes).

Lastly, I believe your Exhibition had an Automatic Needle Clamp, and have included a picture for you to compare.

Can't wait to see some updated pictures!

Good Luck, Bob S.
Attachments
Motorboard1.JPG
Reproducer1.JPG

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

What is Gojo? In the UK it seems to be several different kinds of antibacterial hand soap. :?
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

"Gojo" is an automotive mechanics hand cleaner. Believe it or not, It is almost identical to "Kotton Kleanser", and I less than ¼ the price! You want to get the "Original" Gojo. , Not the Pumice type or the orange type, You must use the original if possible.

Don't know if "Gojo" is sold in Europe... You can also order some from the web if need be.

Tony K.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Thank you for the kind words and tips! Indeed, it was an amazing find, and I'm grateful to be so lucky.

I have one question. I've used GoJo before, but can it kill mold? What you see is not just dirt, but also mold. It's not the nasty black kind, but it's still not something I want to bring into the house.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Garret, This is why I recommended "fantastic". It is not a hand cleaner. How many people have mold on their hands after all??...... :roll: :lol:.
Fantastic is acidic and will remove and kill what is there. However, you must apply as I stated. I would also (like anything) to try a test area first. Maybe the inside edge???.