New Find In the Wild

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tictalk
Victor II

New Find In the Wild

Post by tictalk »

My wife and I were giving the task of entertaining the grand kids for a few hours while we were out of town with my son and his family this week, so we hit a few antique shops, Found this Oak Sonora Grand .Its been a long time since I have found anything good or at a fair price at an antique shop .
Attachments
IMG_0043[500].jpg
IMG_0043[500].jpg (88.22 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
IMG_0042[499].jpg
IMG_0042[499].jpg (78.92 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
Last edited by tictalk on Sat May 18, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: New Find In the Wild

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Wow, a bombé cabinet in finely figured oak, and apparently in great shape! That's a terrific find.

Mlund2020
Victor II

Post by Mlund2020 »

Nice find! I love the look of the Sonora Grand Bombe’ cabinets. Does it have the wooden tone arm?

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Awesome find! Sonora machines are so beautiful...if only I had the money and unlimited space... definitely on my “most wanted” list next to the Credenza and Actuelle.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I love the Sonoras with bombe sides and to find one in oak is icing on the cake. Jerry Blais

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Finding a Sonora Grand in oak is exceptionally lucky. Yours looks like it's finish is original. Congratulations. My Sonora Invincible is in my living room where I can admire it every day. Does yours come with the optional winding meter and wood tone arm?
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

tictalk
Victor II

Post by tictalk »

audiophile102 wrote:Finding a Sonora Grand in oak is exceptionally lucky. Yours looks like it's finish is original. Congratulations. My Sonora Invincible is in my living room where I can admire it every day. Does yours come with the optional winding meter and wood tone arm?

This Grand appears to be the later model , it is 52" tall the same height as a Supreme, it does not have the winding meter or wood tone arm, it does have the huge gold plated motor as the other premium models. The finish is original and in amazingly good condition. The Sonora machines IMO are designed superior to most other brands.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

tictalk wrote:
audiophile102 wrote:Finding a Sonora Grand in oak is exceptionally lucky. Yours looks like it's finish is original. Congratulations. My Sonora Invincible is in my living room where I can admire it every day. Does yours come with the optional winding meter and wood tone arm?

This Grand appears to be the later model , it is 52" tall the same height as a Supreme, it does not have the winding meter or wood tone arm, it does have the huge gold plated motor as the other premium models. The finish is original and in amazingly good condition. The Sonora machines IMO are designed superior to most other brands.
Very nice find. I haven’t bought a machine from an antique shop in years. Nothing worthwhile seems to show up in the shops any more. The last one that I bought from a shop was my Sonora.

I agree with you about the superiority of the Sonora, at least in regard to the motor and cabinet. In my opinion anyway, the high end Sonora and Brunswick machines seem to be as good or better than any others and the motors are silent. I love Victrolas, but I think that a good portion of their success was due to patent ownership, marketing and that endearing logo.
Last edited by Django on Sun May 19, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

A little advice for rebuilding the reproducer. You may already be aware, but in case you are not, the back of the reproducer has a pair of gaskets that should be replaced along with the diaphragm gaskets. The back of the Sonora reproducer is nicely rubber mounted and will rattle if these gaskets have become hard. The material used to rebuild a Victor Exhibition works fine for both the back and the diaphragm. The first gasket that you see when the cover is removed has an internal wire to hold the shape during assembly. I chipped my wire out of the petrified gasket and reused it. Replacing the two gaskets on the back side made a huge difference on mine.
Attachments
s1.jpg