How SHOULD the lid catch work?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Frank W
Victor Jr

How SHOULD the lid catch work?

Post by Frank W »

Working an the Amborola 30...

Does the lid support go into the square guide or out of the catch over the wiggle ( I am being very technical this afternoon)?

What is the purpose of the hole on the end of the wiggle?

Do I have all the parts or is there something missing?

Thanks for your input and instruction. Since this machine came to me in pieces, I am just trying to figure it all out.
20190519_170330.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: How SHOULD the lid catch work?

Post by Jerry B. »

You might check behind the hole. I suspect you'll find a hole in the case for a screw. A screw through that hole would not allow the lid support piece to escape the mechanism. Please let me know if this is successful.

Jerry Blais

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Without taking my Amberola 30 apart, I tried to get the best photo I could of the lid support. Mine is a fairly early one, I think about 1916. Your lid support looks the same. Works very well, too. Mine does indeed have a screw through that hole on the left, but also has a wood or fiber washer/spacer, as you can see in the photo. Note that the photo is sideways (sorry), and in the position shown, the lid is open/up and supported.

I think later Amberolas did away with this automatic-style support, which is similar to those used on the diamond disc models.
Attachments
IMG_8503.JPG

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

The mechanics of it, as per the above...
Scan.png
Scan.png (67.6 KiB) Viewed 726 times
James.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

That pic that Jwb88 posted is accurate. That is the Early Amberola 30 Lid Catch for the Two Screw Lid Rod. Sometime in Late 1917 I believe, Edison went to a different Lid catch that used much less metal and was smaller for the later One Screw Lid Rod.

It looks like you are missing the screw and the spacer... It should not be too hard to locate either....from any Phonograph Repair Parts Vendor..

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

Frank W
Victor Jr

Post by Frank W »

Thank you all... it is always helpful to know what the missing piece looks like.

I found a hole in the inside of the Amberola case as Jerry B suggested. JWB88's image and James' drawing set me on the right path. After finding an appropriate screw, I fabricated the spacer (wood dowel). Image show results.
20190520_130832.jpg
We win the race one step at a time.