Columbia Grafonola Favorite help needed *edited title*

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
wjw
Victor II

Re: Columbia Grafonola info needed

Post by wjw »

The price was right on that one. Really nice looking machine!
-bill

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

Thanks, Bill! I know it's not rare or highly desirable, but I really like it, especially in the oak! On another note, there were a ton of needles with it, in various states of decay. I tossed them all, but these 2 caught my eye. What are they? The "brass"looking one has an extremely fine tip on it if you look closely - would this be some kind of gimmick for playing electrically recorded records? I don't know WHAT to make of the one with the "V" stamped into it...
Attachments
needles.jpg

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

The brass one is a Victor Tungs-tone needle. It has a tungsten wire tip that was good for dozens of plays. I believe they were available from the early 1920's. I think the spade needle was to offer different playback volumes dependent on its orientation in the needle chuck.
-Bill.

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

Thank you for the info! Now I just have to source the proper lid hinge. There's one on Feepay I'm going to look into - it has more holes than mine (8 to my 7), so I assume it's longer - If the hole spacing and overall width is the same, I can cut it down.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

My two cents.. this machine looks gorgeous. If the repair at the hinge is solid and works well, don't touch it. It's part of the machine's story, a humble tale of her war wounds... If it looks well and works solidly, I wouldn't touch it. I love the way these beautiful humble solid machines made for daily use have resisted so many years working, and many more to come, with care and use, and still can bright on their own. Old repairs only add more to their story.
Of course, it's only an opinion. And you see better than anyone if something better can still be done. If this is the case, and you can improve aspect and solidness, then go on and do it...!
Inigo

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

Inigo wrote:My two cents.. this machine looks gorgeous. If the repair at the hinge is solid and works well, don't touch it. It's part of the machine's story, a humble tale of her war wounds... If it looks well and works solidly, I wouldn't touch it. I love the way these beautiful humble solid machines made for daily use have resisted so many years working, and many more to come, with care and use, and still can bright on their own. Old repairs only add more to their story.
Of course, it's only an opinion. And you see better than anyone if something better can still be done. If this is the case, and you can improve aspect and solidness, then go on and do it...!
If the hinge wasn't cracked and butchered so badly, I'd be inclined to agree with you. It's just too bad, and the "repair" isn't an old one as it is with the louver. It was done sometime when he put it up for sale - there is a picture of it with the hinge still pulled off of the cabinet among the ones with it reattached in the ad. That, coupled with the fact the crack is at the second hole in on the lid support side where all the stress is when the lid is open.......

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I see... Then I agree with you, something better can be done, then.
Inigo

andyjon100
Victor I

Re: Columbia Grafonola * Favorite* info needed *edited tit

Post by andyjon100 »

Can anyone tell me if the #6 reproducer I got with it is correct? I can't find where now, but I saw information stating they came with Concert Grands, #6s, and #5s, I believe. Which is best, if all 3 would be appropriate? Based on what I have read here and other places, I assume this machine is the first iteration of the louver style cabinet introduced after the lawsuit. I am getting ready to start on the mechanicals of it, starting with rebuilding the reproducer. I know Columbia information is relatively scarce, especially for such a large company, but any input I can get would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
reproducer.jpg
motor.jpg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I can't tell you which one would have originally come with your machine, but the #6 shown definitely is an improvement over the smaller #5 and Concert Grands. Your looks to be in very nice condition. It should twist off from the tonearm if no pot metal has expanded to prevent that. I have serviced a few of those, mostly because they were dirty in and out or the mica was cracked. In all of them I replaced the rubber gaskets, even though the originals appeared just as soft as the new replacements. Not sure if Columbia used a better rubber compared to other companies? Be careful when disassembling, there are paper washers on between the metal and the rubber gaskets, make sure you don't damage them.

Andreas

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

Andreas - This one has a ring that snaps out of it, you can see the gap behind the needle bar in the picture. You are right about the rubber, though, I can press my fingernail into it and it is still soft and pliable! Holy cow! This one buzzes something fierce, though. I noticed the needle bar is sloppy in the pivot. I can't adjust the setscrews because someone previously broke half of the tab off of the screwdriver slot on one, and mangled the locknuts on both - so replacements are in order for those