Columbia Grafonola Favorite help needed *edited title*

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Columbia Grafonola * Favorite* info needed *edited tit

Post by alang »

Wow, I really need to clean my glasses more often :oops: I did not even notice the snapping ring in there. Are you sure that's a #6? Mine all had a threaded ring with 4 holes holding the mica.

Sorry
Andreas

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

That's ok Andreas. I believe there were 2 styles of the #6. I read a lot of information here, specifically things written by Phonofreak - but when i go back to reference what I read and where, I can't find it again - talk about needing glasses! :shock: Here's the back of the reproducer showing the model.

** I have some technical questions about the motor - should I continue this thread with them, or should I start a new one in, say, Tips, Tricks & Tutorials?**
Attachments
reproducerback.jpg

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

I decided to stay in this thread with my questions. My thinking is it would be better to keep any info on one machine together, so here goes....If I have erred in my thinking, let me know!
First - I have begun disassembly of the motor, and have discovered the governor weights are some kind of brittle chalky composite on the verge of total disintegration - what is it, and are metal replacement weights of comparable size/weight available?
Second - There is a small arm with a small hole in it on top of the motor casting attached to a rod that runs down through to another arm on the underside. There is an adjustable stop for the arm on the underside, but it doesn't seem to do anything, nor does it look to have been attached to anything for a long time, if ever. The motor board has the "tabs at 6:00 and 7:00. The 7:00 tab has the speed control and stop levers. The 6:00 tab has a "Columbia" name plate riveted to it - where my other Columbia has all it's "information" stamped. I thought it looked like an afterthought, then I found it covers a slot in the tab. Are these related? What would they have been for? Also, would the motor plate have been nickel plated, or blued? Tt looks like it may have been blued, but I see some areas that make me question that.Thank you in advance for any information!
Attachments
gov weights2.jpg
gov weights1.jpg
q1.jpg
q2.jpg
q3.jpg

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Those weights were lead- now almost totally converted to oxide.

andyjon100
Victor I

Re: Columbia Grafonola Favorite help needed *edited title

Post by andyjon100 »

WOW! Thanks! I've never seen lead turn that color, especially all the way through. I actually thought it was some kind of compressed composite! LOL!

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Sorry guys, I'm a little late chiming in on this thread. First, you have one of the earliest Favorites in this configuration. This machine came out around 1913, to be more competitive with the Victrola IX. The last patent date on the label is 1912, That's why I think this machine came out in 1913. This improvement was much louder than the earlier square shaped Favorites. The lid latch release was used on the earliest of these, and used for about a year or so.. The riveted label on the bedplate is another early feature. The No. 6 reproducer is also the early version version before Columbia came out with the No. 6 with the more familiar ring with 4 holes. I like the earlier No. 6 because it is easy to work on. The reproducer body is pot metal, but the retaining ring is spring steel. This reproducer was also used on the later Horned machines. You can get the replacement adjusting screws and nuts from Ron Sitko. The crank is the early version with the slender knob as stated before. I would replace the governor springs, weights and possibly screws and washers. You can get these parts, also, from Ron Sitko. Also, put the original governor parts in a little baggie for historical purposes. The weight are losing mass because of the oxidation and flaking and be out of balance. I don't think the bedplate is blued. It looks like discoloration, but I could be wrong. I do know that the early Columbia Eclipse and Jewel (smaller version) of the Favorite had a blued bedplate. Yes, the Favorite is a common machine, but this early version, is not so common. This is a keeper.
Harvey Kravitz

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

Thank you for all the replies, especially to you, Harvey. I was hoping you'd chime in - most of the information I was able to find about this was from your past posts here. I was thinking it must be an early one based on what I had found earlier - it's serial # is 06532, I don't know where they began their serial #s, though. If they blued other model motor plates, this one certainly was, based upon it's appearance. The pictures don't show the actual look very well. I believe if it were originally nickel, for it to be in such poor condition, the rest of the machine would have to be almost trash, too. I am going to order the replacement governor weights /springs along with the reproducer parts I need. Do you have any thoughts about the odd mechanism parts? An alternative speed control or brake setup? I just would like to know if something's missing or not - Maybe they all had these arms installed to be used on some models and not others? I believe it's been serviced before because there are 2 spring barrel screws missing, and I don't think it would have left the factory like that....