Spring Removal from Toy Phonograph??

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Re: Spring Removal from Toy Phonograph??

Post by travisgreyfox »

Take a video of the finished product whenever you get done so we can all see Cliff!

-Travis

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

CDBPDX wrote:I think I got it now...
I mistakenly bought that "max heat" bernzomatic (torch only) last week. It had no "volume" control so I returned it. Hope the smaller one works out. Using the Mapp gas (yellow bottle) with the oxygen (red bottle) might be too hot for your job anyway. It sounds like a miniature oxyacetelene rig they cut steel with! Sorry I don't know more about this.
- bill

Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

Post by Stephen_Heatherly »

Heating the tabs will not get the gear hot enough to effect it's structural integrity at all. If the gear is pot metal that's a different story.

Stephen

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Stephen_Heatherly wrote:Heating the tabs will not get the gear hot enough to effect it's structural integrity at all. If the gear is pot metal that's a different story.

Stephen
Thanks for bringing that up. I always worry about that when I have to get the torch near a machine.

Also, good to see you back to the Forum, Stephen!

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

Here's a belated shot of the Mapp gas with oxygen affair
-bill
Attachments
0523192007a_HDR.jpg
0523192006.jpg

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

I tried my little torch and it never came close to being hot enough to get the metal soft or red hot. It did heat up the entire cage and gear, but nowhere near hot enough to safely bend the tabs. After 3 minutes of intense torching with no red or softening of the metal, I gave up. I did manage to confirm a break in the spring and the new spring has arrived. I think I'll go with the holes in the gear idea. Wish me luck!

Gotta talk to the client before I do that...

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

Just a thought... you could grind the tabs flat to remove the gear. Then tack weld it back together using a MIG welder. It would be a one time repair job.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

I drilled the holes in the gear and twisted the spring cage and it came off. Actually, there was a bunch of things I had to do to get it to work, but in the end, it worked. I took the old spring out of the cage and the center coil "mandrel" was pretty basic. I had to diddle with both ends of the new spring to make it fit the cage and the "mandrel". But it worked. Then, as I was installing the new spring, the leg of the cage that the spring attaches to broke off. I took it to the auto repair shop around the corner from my shop and the guy said he could weld it back together and it would be ready tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed...

I am convinced these toy phonographs were never meant to be repaired.

Cliff
Attachments
TOY-PHONO_0001.JPG
TOY-PHONO_0006.JPG
TOY-PHONO_0004.JPG
TOY-PHONO_0003.JPG
TOY-PHONO_0005d.JPG
TOY-PHONO_0005a.JPG
TOY-PHONO_0002.JPG
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

When that part broke off, I bet the expletives I would have uttered would make a sailor blush! :oops:
I've messed with a couple springs that were sealed up, and I'm certain they were never meant to have lasted long enough to need repair.