Amberola 30 "CLANK"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Frank W
Victor Jr

Amberola 30 "CLANK"

Post by Frank W »

My Amberola is assembled and I have begun testing...aligning...and adjusting.

As the machine runs and moves from left to right I hear two CLANKs. One when it begins, and another twords the end (right most side). I have discovered that the CLANK occurs when the horn shifts. The post in the front of the horn CLANKs from side to side in the retaining bracket. That CLANK is then amplified by the horn itself.

Is there a sleeve (or something) missing from the my post that would isolate this CLANK when the horn shifts?

Has anyone else experienced this and what is a good fix?
20190225_133648.jpg

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Amberola 30 "CLANK"

Post by barnettrp21122 »

You're missing a fiber spacer and two fiber washers and nut from the front of your horn post.
The nut is tightened enough to prevent excess play and still move without hindrance.
You should be able to make-do with a few nylon washers and nut until you find original parts
Here's are pictures:
IMG_3198.JPG
IMG_3201.JPG
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

Frank W
Victor Jr

Post by Frank W »

I fabricated a nut. I call it a wooden button. Thank you for the images. I will be looking for material to assimilate the original...or fabricate a simulation.

Here is what the button looks like.
20190301_083642.jpg

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

There was even an earlier type which was the Earliest...before your type that used just a brass sleeve.. The Mid Series II and Series III Amberola 30's finally just went to just a screwed in post that went through the bottom lip of the horn.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

See the 1st type below:
Attachments
Very_Early_Amberola_30_Horn_Mount.jpg

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Funnily enough, I just went through this issue with my Amberola 30 about a week ago. It has the same style mount as yours, but all I have left is one washer and the nut.

I ended up using some clear silicone tubing I had on hand--I don't know the specific diameter but it's a little larger than typical exhibition gasket material. I just checked and it is about 4mm outside diameter. I cut a tiny piece, about ¼" long, and slid it over the post on the horn. It fits tightly and it took a little work wiggling it on/pushing it up with a screw driver. Then I replaced the washer and nut. It allows plenty of movement as it isn't quite as big as the slot, but it sort of cushions any potential clank noise. I'm really happy with it. I'd send you a bit of it if you want, PM me.

Also, while I was doing this, I noticed there was no felt between the motorboard and the three motor mounts. I made little pieces of felt and cut holes for the screws--what a difference! Apparently that tiny bit raised the motor up to just the right height. Suddenly the reproducer just glides back and forth like butter!

It's a little goofy but I love these small machines when everything works as it should.
Attachments
IMG_8711.JPG