Victor 3 serial number 883

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dave D
Victor IV

Victor 3 serial number 883

Post by Dave D »

Does anyone know where the serial numbers started on the Vic 3? This has to be a pretty early one. Cast iron turntable, three piece brake like a Victor M, early style case. Is it common to find them marked V 3 instead of III?
Dave D
Attachments
IMAG0313 (1).jpg

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Victor 3 serial number 883

Post by Phonofreak »

Dave,The earliest of the Victor rear mounts (after the alpha series) used Arabic numerals. Later on, Victor went to the Roman numerals. I'm not sure when, maybe 1905-06? I have a very early Victor 1, Victor 2, and Victor 3.I hsve seen erxamples of Victor 4, Victor 5, and even a Victor 6. Hopes this helps.
Harvey Kravitz

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Well, with a serial number this low, this has to be one of the first made. Thanks for your input.
Dave D

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

It appears the change from Arabic numbers to Roman Numerals happened about the same time as the change from the early gear drive motor to the spindle drive motor. That is based on my observations.

jsimmons0331
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Jim S

Post by jsimmons0331 »

Thanks Dave and all who replied. I am the owner of Victor 3 #883 and am bringing it back to life with Dave's assistance. A labor of love for sure. I will post photos here of the finished restoration. I don't think I'll become a collector, but will surely enjoy the one I have - passed down several generations from my grandmother's family.

Jim S

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

jsimmons0331 wrote:Thanks Dave and all who replied. I am the owner of Victor 3 #883 and am bringing it back to life with Dave's assistance. A labor of love for sure. I will post photos here of the finished restoration. I don't think I'll become a collector, but will surely enjoy the one I have - passed down several generations from my grandmother's family.

Jim S

We all started with just one. That's how it gets you. If you are just going to have a single machine, the Victor III, (3), is a great one to have. I hope that you enjoy the rebirth and the pleasure of owning and playing a family time capsule. If it was mine I would try to retain the original diaphragm so that it retained the same voice that my grandmother heard. Good luck and please post some before and after pictures.

jsimmons0331
Victor Jr

Post by jsimmons0331 »

Here is a photo before I dismantled it for restoration. Although I rebuilt the Exhibition reproducer, I did save the old mica diaphragm. I do not know if it was original, but judging by the condition of the rubber seals and rear mount, it probably is. The cabinet had been refinished at some point - most likely well before I was born as I remember playing it in its current state when I was a very young child. The refinish was pretty shoddy, but the cabinet is in great shape. I'm just stripping it and staining it back to its golden oak finish. All mechanical restoration is complete. I'm just working on the wood now and expect it to be finished in March sometime.

Jim S.
Attachments
Victor 3 #883
Victor 3 #883

jsimmons0331
Victor Jr

Post by jsimmons0331 »

A picture of work in progress... The cabinet is stained and ready for final finishing. Dave D did the motor cleaning and lubrication and assisted with re-plating some of the hardware for me. Can't wait to hear it play a recording with the rebuilt reproducer.

Jim S
Attachments
Stained Base
Stained Base

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Beautiful. Thanks for posting it. Treasure it. Not all of us have a family piece, but we probably all wish that we did.

I love that Nickel horn. That's a great bonus.

jsimmons0331
Victor Jr

Post by jsimmons0331 »

Thank you! I retired in January. The Phono has been sitting on that table as a decorative piece for many years. I decided to tackle the restoration as a "retirement present" to myself. I inherited a ton of records as well and I'm in the process of cleaning and cataloging them. Hopefully some of them are playable.

I can't thank Dave D. enough for all his assistance and guidance in this fun journey.

I didn't know that the nickel horns were not original Victor, but likely an aftermarket or up-sell item. Its actually in pretty good shape given its age. I'm not doing a thing to it even though the plating is worn off in places. It appears to be brass underneath.

Jim