Victor Leather Bound Album Research Project - request help

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
electrolaman 64
Victor II
Personal Text: Look for the Dog

Victor Leather Bound Album Research Project - request help

Post by electrolaman 64 »

Hello TMF Members, I have started an extensive research project to once and for all catalog what the color and legends of the Leather bound Albums which Victor supplied from the factory in there Electrolas and Victorlas instruments.

I am compiling and verifying this information by my personally making visual contact with specific model instruments or photos there of and cataloging the specifics of the albums contained in them. The information I have complied and verified to date indicates that they came in six specific sized sets. Those being a set of 4, set of 5, set of 6, set of 8 and set of 12. I am also confirming that within these specific sized sets the albums all were supplied with the same colored bindings and same color of labels per volume, the quantity of 10" and 12" albums, aand labeled the range of the alphabet from A-Z for 10" and the same for 12" albums.

I have made a chart using .xls with the first page identifying the models of instruments and what quantity of album set were in each. I am confident to say at this point I have most of the information that I believe to be correct and ready to publish with one exception. The only set I do not have verified is the 5 album set which was only found in the VV8-9 and contained only 1= 12" album and 3= 10' albums. If things go true to form the 12" album would go from A-Z and be Vol. I and the 10" albums would be ranged A-? Vol. II, ?-? Vol. III, ?-Z Vol. IV with specific artist or composer names starting with the letter range. Like AUSTIN for A or ZIMBALIST for Z.

I will post my findings once I can verify the original 5 album sets used in the VV8-8 and VV8-9.

Are there TMF members here that own an 8-8 or 8-9 and are willing to help. You need to believe that you have the original albums to the your instrument. My request is that you take a good clear and in focus photo of the set and PM or email it to me. I will need to see at least 2-3 example instruments id determine the information to be usual and correct.

So here is a for instance. The 6 album sets were as pictured below and were in the VE9-54, VE9-56 and VE10-69 as well. the later RE-75, RE-154, RAE-84 reverted to labels of just the volume number and VICTOR LIBRARY where the artist/composer name were used for the alphabet range.

Thanks in advance for any help you may give toward the 8-9 album identification research.

Carlton Smith
Electrolaman 64
Attachments
6 album set- 12&quot; albums: <br />Vol. IV, VOL. V, Vol. VI
6 album set- 12" albums:
Vol. IV, VOL. V, Vol. VI
6 album set- 10&quot; albums:<br /> VOL. I, Vol. II, VOL. III
6 album set- 10" albums:
VOL. I, Vol. II, VOL. III
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64

electrolaman 64
Victor II

Re: Victor Leather Bound Album Research Project - request he

Below is an example of how these albums were labeled in the Radio Victor and RCA Victor RE and RAE instruments. Substituting the artist/composer alphabetical ranges for simply VICTOR LIBRARY.

Carlton Smith
Electrolaman 64
Attachments
4 album set- 10&quot; VICTOR LIBRARY with VOL. I, VOL. II
4 album set- 10" VICTOR LIBRARY with VOL. I, VOL. II
4 album set- 12&quot; VICTOR LIBRARY<br />with VOL III, VOL. IV
4 album set- 12" VICTOR LIBRARY
with VOL III, VOL. IV
Last edited by electrolaman 64 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

My VV 8-9 doesn’t have the albums but someone must have an original set. Hope someone can help you with the last missing part of your honorable project. Thanks for helping preserve phonographic history.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

The 8-9 wasn't equipped with albums, they were an optional item that could be purchased at additional cost.

The 8-8 only has storage for TWO albums below the horn instead of the arrangement the 8-9 has, for whatever reason. My 8-8 came with one album, but I can't verify that it would have been originally supplied, it's a leather bound album with 12 inch cover but 10 inch sleeves inside, I was under the impression these came with machines like the 7-11. I'd be glad to send a photo to you if you'd like via PM later when I'm home, Carlton, let me know!

Sean

electrolaman 64
Victor II

Hi Sean, I have sent you a PM. Yes you are correct the the 8-9 was not supplied with the leather album set without additional cost through the dealer. However, I suspect they would have been a specific set of 1=12" album and 4=10" albums with specific Vol. numbering and artist/composer alphabetical labels like all the other sets I have verified by multiple examples.

Thanks!

Carlton
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64