Heart Attack = Can't Wind the Victrolas

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MikeB
Victor II

Heart Attack = Can't Wind the Victrolas

Post by MikeB »

Well, looks like I went and had myself a heart attack, followed by a quadruple bypass and a nifty new chest zipper. They give you lots of literature in the hospital regarding what a heart attack is, what you should and shouldn't eat, and mostly they stress that you shouldn't lift anything greater than 10 pounds, or push anything, or pull anything, can't drive, and, presumably can't WIND anything, (although there is NOTHING in their literature about the care and feeding of antique phonographs - these people need to grow up and join the Twentieth Century). So here I am in a house full of things that wind - phonographs and clocks - but I am stuck here relying on insipid electrical power for my entertainment. It's awful. (Plus pulling the handle on one of antique slot machines would be right out).

You see, in order to gain access to your heart, the surgeons use some sort of bandsaw to divide your sternum in two, then they re-plumb your ticker, and then they wire your sternum back together with something akin to picture frame wire. Thank God that I don't have to crank start a Model T. My rib cage might end up on the neighbor's lawn.

Just thought I'd vent...
Mike

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Heart Attack = Can't Wind the Victrolas

Post by Jerry B. »

Sounds like a true test of your good nature. I wish you a full recovery and hope you don't lose muscle mass in your cranking arm. Jerry B.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I'm also with you... Respect doctor's advice and recover yourself well and soon. A bit of sacrifice now may bring you health and joy in the near future...!
May God help you!
Inigo

Victor VII
Victor I

Post by Victor VII »

Best wishes for a quick recovery. Better to live and crank another day...

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I wish you the best of luck in your recovery. A good buddy of mine whom I've known since we were 13 is having a triple bypass tomorrow.

Consider yourself lucky - - we all are - - that we live in a time when these things can be successfully fixed. Had you experienced your heart attack back when our phonographs were new, you probably wouldn't be able to post on this forum... ;)

Again, best of luck!

George P.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Mike,

Been there, done that. I found cardiac rehab to be essential. I'm sure it's offered where you are. Rehab started me on a fitness routine I've kept at ever since my first "episode" in 1991. Fortunately my problem could be addressed with angioplasty and stenting.

Whatever you do, stay active and eat right! In my case, I also quit smoking and alcohol.

Best of good wishes for your complete recovery. Happy cranking!

Henry

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

MikeB wrote:Well, looks like I went and had myself a heart attack, followed by a quadruple bypass and a nifty new chest zipper. They give you lots of literature in the hospital regarding what a heart attack is, what you should and shouldn't eat, and mostly they stress that you shouldn't lift anything greater than 10 pounds, or push anything, or pull anything, can't drive, and, presumably can't WIND anything, (although there is NOTHING in their literature about the care and feeding of antique phonographs - these people need to grow up and join the Twentieth Century). So here I am in a house full of things that wind - phonographs and clocks - but I am stuck here relying on insipid electrical power for my entertainment. It's awful. (Plus pulling the handle on one of antique slot machines would be right out).

You see, in order to gain access to your heart, the surgeons use some sort of bandsaw to divide your sternum in two, then they re-plumb your ticker, and then they wire your sternum back together with something akin to picture frame wire. Thank God that I don't have to crank start a Model T. My rib cage might end up on the neighbor's lawn.

Just thought I'd vent...
Mike
Those restrictions are very temporary. I'm a 20 year MI survivor now, no bypass but 2 stents 2 years ago. Go to cardiac rehab and do what they tell you to. I lost 20 pounds the first year after my MI just b cutting out fast food and walking 2 miles nearly every day. Of course I had to work up to walking that far, but I also got faster as I went farther. You'll be back to doing everything you you like to do before you know it.

I personally don't see any reason you can't wind things - just ask your doctor to be sure.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Heal Well, Mike- Take it easy for awhile- My sister had the same type surgery- You will definitely have a brag-able scar on your chest!

As George said, we live in a time when so much can be fixed. It is remarkable that we can be put back together again using original and reproduction parts--- Would an artificial valve or a heart zipper qualify for inclusion as a Franken-phone? Better that than a Crap-o-phone-- that's a whole different doctor!
Get well--

Brad Abell

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Thanks everyone for the best wishes.

I am three weeks beyond the surgery, getting stronger every day. I plan on following doctor's orders.

Yes, it is a different world now then when our phonographs were new. In my case, heart problems are genetic. I'm only 53, about the same age as David Letterman when he had his bypass. I eat right, exercise, am not overweight, don't drink or smoke... My only vice is antiques. People always say how healthy I am. But my dad died at 62 from heart failure, his dad at 47, his dad at 57, and there was an uncle who died at 50. All heart issues. So I suppose that we are all lucky that we live in modern times, though we can experience an earlier era, albeit more safely, through out hobby.

Was going to get a table at the Buena Park show this year, but think I am going to pass. Next year...

Mike

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Been there, done that also in 2016. Make sure to partake in the cardio rehabilitation paid for by Medicare, 36 sessions. That is the best thing you can do to get back in shape. Also make sure to continue an exercise regimen afterwards and eat healthy. I think I’m in as good or better shape now and there is nothing I am not able to do that I did before. Walking a few miles a day is a great way to strengthen the heart.

Rich Gordon