Observations on a motor rebuild

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
stetam
Victor II

Observations on a motor rebuild

Post by stetam »

I have a VV-300 I got for free last week that had a spring slipping so I disassembled and cleaned all the parts. I saw someone tried to repair a broken spring in the past and the spring had simply slipped off the post, so I refiled the spring hole and now I'm back in business. It was also missing the ball bearing for the spindle. When I received the machine the speed knob was turned all the way in to get the correct speed. After cleaning all the parts in kerosene, greasing and assembly I did a test run. What a difference it made!
When I assembled the spring barrels I use a brush to grease the springs as I install them. One rotation installed, apply grease and continue with this method. A little harder this way as the springs want to pop out but it alleviates the need to over grease initially after assembly and allows the springs to be pushed in flush easily.

Stetam

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: Observations on a motor rebuild

Post by AZ* »

Yes, it can make a difference. Often, the machine will run just fine after a motor cleaning and lube. I had a similar experience where the bent end of the spring no longer grabbed the notch. I restored the bent end, and all was well after that.

I have also acquired machines with the missing ball bearing. Some previous "restorer" either lost it or didn't know where it went upon reassembly.

Congratulations on your success! :rose:
Best regards ... AZ*