Felt pens for golden pin striping.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Felt pens for golden pin striping.

Post by Mormon S »

Hey guys. I need a suggestion for a golden paint felt pen to use on the striping of a horn. I'm currently repainting an H&S horn for victor machines, and want an accurate gold color. I've noticed that old golden paint always has more of a brownish-orangey hue to it, and isnt very reflective and shiny. The last horn I painter, I used a decocolor "premium prime premio" pen, and it was too bright and new looking. Any suggestion?

Thanks
Martin
Attachments
20190613_152534.jpg
20190613_152621.jpg
20190613_152605.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Felt pens for golden pin striping.

Post by phonogfp »

For paint, I use a gold I bought over 30 years ago (I keep adding lacquer thinner to keep it from drying out). I've seen similar paint in hobby/craft stores. It seems to have tiny, tiny, tiny brass flakes in it. It goes on looking gold, but without the brightness of the pens and stuff like Testor's (which I think is awful - - not even paint). And after a short period, it seems to darken slightly as if the brass is tarnishing. The color is a very close match to original Edison striping.

As for pinstripes, I use a variety of drafting pens. You can adjust the width of line, and with a little practice you can lay down a perfectly straight line about 2 feet long.

George P.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Thank you George. I will keep looking for felt pens of the right color, it helps with accuracy, especially when painting the ribs. Here is a picture of the horn I'm currently painting for this curious.

Martin
Attachments
received_1160709320775936.jpeg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

You could also look into golden pin stripe tape like mentioned in this thread http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 3&p=162101.

Andreas

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Sorry Martin - I misunderstood that you were looking for suggestions for felt-tip PENS. I can't help you there, as I've never found any that I liked as well as paint. You can mix paint when necessary (I've occasionally mixed gold and brown to darken it), and thin it too.

The external ribs of flower horns can be pretty easily painted by brush. The key, of course, is the right paint. Here are brush-painted external ribs (I didn't enhance color or brightness on any of these photos):
Paint3.JPG
Here's the same paint used on the internal seams (done with drafting pen) and petal borders (by brush):
Paint2.JPG
Pinstripes by drafting pen:
Paint4.JPG
I see sets of drafting pens at yard sales and antique shops for around five - ten bucks. Here's the 1940s set of drafting pens I've used for the past 35 years (courtesy of my late father-in-law). I very much like the ability to exactly match the width of line which can be done with a drafting pen. I find I use the pen at the top and the one at the middle right 99% of the time:
Paint1.JPG
You needn't limit yourself to felt-tip pens unless you really prefer them for some reason. But you can adjust drafting pens, mix your paint for color & consistency, and select the right brush for the job at hand. That's a lot of flexibility.

George P.