Please help!, is my victrola authentic or fake?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JELSnov98
Victor Jr

Please help!, is my victrola authentic or fake?

Post by JELSnov98 »

Hello, im new to the forum and victor products, this is my first post,

I recently bought a Victor in fair condition with normal wear(VV-VI 80998 C), but upon closer inspection i have not been able to find one that looks identical to mine.
For example:

- The data plate is not painted its simply golden (which makes me think the paint came off overtime or victor simply made it that way or its fake), it’s also a bit crooked (don’t know if it was taken off at some point and put back on).

- The speed control is on the left side (Took it out because i noticed it was not the one corresponding to the model.

I looked up the model no. On the victor website and found that it’s a 1914 model and yes it has the ‘license notice’ sticker by Victor found on the bottom.

Hope you can help a rookie here, thank you in advance
Attachments
6ADFAE7D-7EB6-4872-A9EC-5C6FFBF84825.jpeg
86B29F60-541B-43E1-BCAB-66EC2BC4CBAB.jpeg
D007D966-8E4F-48AB-8827-CDB1FBED44A6.jpeg
5EEB931A-DE35-464B-8C4A-714F10606C8A.jpeg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Please help!, is my victrola authentic or fake?

Post by Phono-Phan »

Welcome to the Forum. Congrats on your first phonograph. It is a real one. That model was made for several years and had a number of different versions.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

The nickel went bad on the data plate & someone polished it to the brass

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Yes, it is a VV-VI. I have owned two or three of this model over the years. There have been several helpful replies to your post. The model you have was designed to play acoustic records. Victor records, acoustic recordings, play the best, but most other types will also play. There are several sources to help recondition the reproducer if needed. Look in the Links section. My favorite one is Ron Sitko.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Not only is it a real Victrola, but it's in fairly nice shape. You'll fix it up all right.

That "Windsor" record behind it is vinyl. You will want shellac records, the early style 78s. Also, these old Victrolas need new needles with each playing, and the reproducer (sound box that holds the needle) loses its function over the years so it will need to be re-built for maximum sound & minimum record damage.

Nice start! Victrola VI models are rugged, simple, and attractive.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

It is very easy to make your ID tag presentable. Do the following:

With a thin flat knife, like a putty knife, slid under the middle of the tag and slide towards one of the small nails. The nail will raise. Repeat with the others and save the nails.

Wipe your tag with a cleaner such a denatured alcohol.

Spray the entire tag with black spray paint. It really doesn't matter is its gloss, semi, or flat. Repeat with a second coat.

After it is dry a day or so rub gently with 0000 steel wool. That will remove the black paint from Nipper and other high spots and leave a nice black background. You could remove some of the black paint with lacquer thinner and a Q-tip followed by the steel wool.

Reinstall the ID tag on your machine.

The above is very easy and you will be successful.

Welcome to the Forum, Jerry Blais

JELSnov98
Victor Jr

Post by JELSnov98 »

Thank you everyone i’ll continue working on the machine, feels good knowing it’s the real thing

George

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

The Victrola Vi you have is the first one with the 12" turntable.These came out in 1913. It looks all original. I do question the speed control. The speed control should be an oval shaped one, not round like this this is a replacement, like a Silvertone. These escutcheons are fairly easy to locate. Nice machine.
Harvey Kravitz