Edison Long Play Diamond Disc Console 1 needs cosmetic repai

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mamie
Victor Jr

Edison Long Play Diamond Disc Console 1 needs cosmetic repai

Post by Mamie »

Any chance anyone knows how I could go about getting molding for the front cabinet doors of this cabinet? It is in perfect working order just needs new molding for the doors.
Attachments
48099037-B363-4F6B-9979-982ACEC5BA62.jpeg

Victor VI

Re: Edison Long Play Diamond Disc Console 1 needs cosmetic r

Post by 52089 »

I'd suggest you put a "Wanted" ad in Yankee Trader. You can also try contacting the many parts suppliers named in the Links section of the board. Unfortunately, these parts are uncommon and many have broken like yours over the years. Replacements will not be easy to find. Good luck!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Many of us have had good luck with molding clay. All you need to do is make a mold by pressing the clay around the parts you already have. (You wouldn't want to go longer than 6" or so, but later on you can place your molded pieces side-by-side to make longer pieces.) Then you squirt a 2-part epoxy that comes with the kit into your mold. It hardens quickly. Peel away the molding clay for re-use, and your molded part is ready to paint to match whatever you're repairing. Glue it in place and you're all set.

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I was lucky enough to procure 2 complete doors (sans the original grille cloths) from a very helpful member after placing a wanted ad here in the Yankee Trader section.

You might get lucky, but as posted above, it's pretty unlikely.

As George suggested, his solution is probably your best option, unless you're willing to wait for an extended period of time, until someone either parts one out, or stumbles across a console missing everything except the doors. ;)

Here's a link to my post of the restoration I performed on my 1-C: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ng+playing

AND, a link to my database survey on the Long Playing Consoles and a few other models of the same time period. You may find some of this useful: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ng+playing

Best of luck,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Ron6519
Victor Jr

Post by Ron6519 »

You should be able to mold the parts you need with the parts you have. They could stay in place until(if) you get the wood replacements.