Brunswick tone arm and reproducer question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dave D
Victor IV

Brunswick tone arm and reproducer question

Post by Dave D »

I have a motor and two reproducers to repair. I don't know why there are two with such different styles. Can someone tell me which of the two reproducers is the correct one for this tone arm? I don't have the tone arm here.

By the way, this motor was the worst I have ever seen. They could not get one of the mainsprings to hook up, so the obvious solution was to pour molten lead into the center of the spring barrel. Problem solved! What a mess to get cleaned up!

I appreciate any advice regarding which reproducer is correct for this tone arm and any advice on repairing the broken part of the back. Am I better off looking for a replacement?

Thanks!
Dave D
Attachments
IMG_2085.JPG
IMG_2084.JPG
IMG_2083.JPG
IMG_2082.JPG
20190614_124650 (1).jpg

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Brunswick tone arm and reproducer question

Post by OrthoSean »

Both reproducers are correct, one is for lateral and one for vertical cut discs, the earliest Brunswick machines came with two reproducers. They look kind of trashed, but I have seen them show up from time to time.

Sean

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

deleted

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

OrthoSean wrote:Both reproducers are correct, one is for lateral and one for vertical cut discs, the earliest Brunswick machines came with two reproducers. They look kind of trashed, but I have seen them show up from time to time.

Sean
Thanks for clearing that up!
Dave

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

If you have the broken pieces, you may be able to do some JB Weld magic. If not, you're probably going to need replacements.

Sean

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

OrthoSean wrote:Both reproducers are correct, one is for lateral and one for vertical cut discs, the earliest Brunswick machines came with two reproducers. They look kind of trashed, but I have seen them show up from time to time.

Sean
Strange thing though- that tone arm also has a universal joint- you should be able to twist the end a quarter turn, then rotate the lateral reproducer into position to play verticals. Puzzling.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I've been able to build up such missing pieces with JB-Weld. Wrap the tonearm tightly in cling wrap and use it as the inside form, then build up the missing part. Better over build it, because you can file or sand the excess off when it has completely dried. The cling wrap will prevent the tonearm from sticking to the JB-Weld. Clean the parts well with Mineral Spirit or similar before starting with the JB-Weld.

Good luck
Andreas

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

That's actually a great idea! I never would have thought of using cling wrap / plastic / saran / whatever, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Sean

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Besides the thin missing part, build up a thick ring all around the soundbox neck, as far as there's room for it. Otherwise the jbweld post will come out at the slightest pressure or twist... A thick ring is less prone to break.
Inigo