2019 Union Treasures

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

2019 Union Treasures

Post by Jerry B. »

Here are a couple of machine I brought back from the recent Union show.

The first photo shows a Columbia AU that is unlike any I have ever seen. It does not have a traveling arm. Instead it functions very much like a Victor Junior. I am anxious to know if others have seen this variation. Thank you Gregg C.

The second photo shows my Johnson M. I've collected for many years and have never owned this model. I am delighted with it. Thank you Ken B.

Union may be smaller but it's still the show to attend. The quality and variety is very good. I may be wrong but I get the impression that little has been done to promote the sale for the last few years. I am optimistic that recent changes in leadership will improve the promotion of future Union shows. Things can change for the better. That was proved at last years APS sale in California. APS leadership promoted the show by reaching out to millennials and other potential buying groups. As a dealer I was busy all day long.

Jerry Blais
Attachments
IMG_3628.JPG
IMG_3627.JPG

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Re: 2019 Union Treasures

Post by travisgreyfox »

:shock: That Columbia AU looks awesome. I searched on youtube for a video of one playing and only found one video where someone was playing a Columbia red label on it :roll:

Any chance you will be filming a video of it?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

There's a picture and caption about that odd AU on page 114 of Discovering Antique Phonographs, but I don't think any original documentation on it has been found. The rest of page 114 discusses and pictures the special sound box used on this machine.

Congratulations, Jerry - nice "bring-homes!"

George P.
Last edited by phonogfp on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Nice finds Jerry! And thank you for sharing. Cheers, Russie

phonolady
Victor I

Post by phonolady »

Thanks for posting Jerry, both look cool!

David & Lerria

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

Both are very cool, but that Columbia is a sweetheart, love it.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I am glad the Johnson M found a good home.
Ken Brekke

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Great looking machines. Now I must look to see what a Johnson M is! Making me work here! ha ha Neil Okay can someone inform me what is a Johnson M. I do not see anything like it in Look for the Dog or the Data book. No corners like that so this must be very uncommon. Any information you can provide us folks who do not know a lot would be appreciated. Thanks, Neil

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

vansteem78 wrote: Okay can someone inform me what is a Johnson M. I do not see anything like it in Look for the Dog or the Data book. No corners like that so this must be very uncommon. Any information you can provide us folks who do not know a lot would be appreciated. Thanks, Neil
Neil, look at the bottom of page 97 in your copy of The Talking Machine Compendium. At the bottom of page 77 there's text explaining what Johnson was doing in 1901.

George P.