Options for Buying an Orthophonic Reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Options for Buying an Orthophonic Reproducer

Post by audiophile102 »

The pot metal housing for my orthophonic reproducer expanded way passed the point where it can be opened with out destroying it. I had a lead a orthophonic brass reproducer. Unfortunately, it seems I must look elsewhere for a replacement. As I understand it my options are;

1. Continue searching for a (expensive) brass unit.
2. Send my pot metal reproducer out to be cut open and replacd with the shell with a reproduction. (Not sure of the cost or build quality).
3. Search for a stable pot metal reproducer from a vv 2-65 which I have been told is of higher build quality and sounds great.

For right now the adaptor I made from pvc and the use of my Sonora reproducer enables me to still play great sounding records on my vv 8-12 so I can take time to think about which option is best. I bought my vv 8-12 not for resale, but better audio fidelity so making the right decision is important to me. If you have experience making this decision, please share it.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Victor VI

Re: Options for Buying an Orthophonic Reproducer

Post by 52089 »

You can also find a stable pot metal reproducer and get it rebuilt. I have two of those and they work just fine.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

The sound boxes used on the 2-65 (http://www.victor-victrola.com/2-65.htm) as well as the more common 2-55 (http://www.victor-victrola.com/2-55.htm) are good choices.

Another option would be to hunt down a good condition HMV #5a or #5b reproducer, which were fitted to the HMV models based on the Orthophonic Victrola -- http://www.graham-ophones.co.uk/hmv-page-2/4580358062 These come up for sale quite often on sites such as eBay. In terms of performance, they come very close to the original Orthophonic sound box.

OrthoFan

audiophile102
Victor IV

Post by audiophile102 »

I ended up purchasing a reasonably priced portable orthophonic reproducer. I don't know if it came from a 2-65 or a 2-55. It needed a bit of servicing which wasn't a problem. The grill cover was removed, but I saved it. The sound coming out of my vv 8-12 is very loud so I guess I will be purchasing some soft tone needles soon. It's really crazy how loud it is. I can't imagine how loud a vv 8-30 would be in my house.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

audiophile102 wrote:The pot metal housing for my orthophonic reproducer expanded way passed the point where it can be opened with out destroying it. I had a lead a orthophonic brass reproducer. Unfortunately, it seems I must look elsewhere for a replacement. As I understand it my options are;

1. Continue searching for a (expensive) brass unit.
2. Send my pot metal reproducer out to be cut open and replacd with the shell with a reproduction. (Not sure of the cost or build quality).
3. Search for a stable pot metal reproducer from a vv 2-65 which I have been told is of higher build quality and sounds great.

For right now the adaptor I made from pvc and the use of my Sonora reproducer enables me to still play great sounding records on my vv 8-12 so I can take time to think about which option is best. I bought my vv 8-12 not for resale, but better audio fidelity so making the right decision is important to me. If you have experience making this decision, please share it.
FWIW I had bought an Orthophonic reproducer off eBay with a new shell, and had it on my old Credenza. It sounded fantastic. I wish I'd kept it frankly.

I heard from another TMF member who had it done also and they weren't all that pleased, so I guess it's sort of a crap shoot.

Here's a video of my reproducer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4exo1RqwOA

Don't let Jerry Van see this! :o
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

I wonder if one day we will have totally new (reproduction) orthophonic reproducers. It seems there would be a market if someone would start making them.

audiophile102
Victor IV

Post by audiophile102 »

travisgreyfox wrote:I wonder if one day we will have totally new (reproduction) orthophonic reproducers. It seems there would be a market if someone would start making them.
I think there would be a market especially if the reproduction sounded much better. I purchased a new and improved True Tone diaphragm for my Edison A250 and I would not consider returning to the original diaphragm. The prices for original brass orthophonic reproducers represents a pretty high price point for a quality reproduction. I freely acknowledge my ignorance regarding the manufacturing process of something so complicated, but I like to dream big.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

audiophile102 wrote:The sound coming out of my vv 8-12 is very loud so I guess I will be purchasing some soft tone needles soon. It's really crazy how loud it is.
Recordings made after about 1931*** were produced more for electrical playback. The equalization was changed, favoring the higher notes, and the frequency range was expanded and continued to expand over the years. Many (post-1931) records tend to sound overly loud, or even shrill, when played on an acoustic phonograph with a loud tone needle.

If you look at the run-off area of an Orthophonic label disc, you'll see "VE" stamped in either an oval or a diamond. The diamond indicates that the record was recorded using the post-1931 equalization process.

For post-1931 recordings, a soft or medium tone needle is often a better option, as is a fiber (bamboo) or cactus (thorn) needle.

OrthoFan
*** (not sure of the exact date.)

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

audiophile102 wrote:
travisgreyfox wrote:I wonder if one day we will have totally new (reproduction) orthophonic reproducers. It seems there would be a market if someone would start making them.
I think there would be a market especially if the reproduction sounded much better. I purchased a new and improved True Tone diaphragm for my Edison A250 and I would not consider returning to the original diaphragm. The prices for original brass orthophonic reproducers represents a pretty high price point for a quality reproduction. I freely acknowledge my ignorance regarding the manufacturing process of something so complicated, but I like to dream big.
How does one acquire a True Tone Diaphragm? Are they being sold on eBay or do I have to PM the maker and ask for one? I kinda want to rebuild an Edison DD reproducer but I’m not too confident because there are no thorough step by step videos explaining the rebuilding process unlike Victrola Exhibition and No2 and Edison Model C and H reproducers. And yes a new reproduction orthophonic would be awesome! Maybe they can repurpose parts from cracking pot metal reproducers to make new ones.

EDIT: Well look what just got posted to Youtube! Ha! And he has a series of other videos too!
https://youtu.be/EZ00Nqjz-Ps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ukbH5vTPVk
Last edited by AmberolaAndy on Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Wyatt Markus is excellent at repairing them, even pot metal ones that have "issues". I just sent him one last week, which will be the third reproducer of mine that he's rebuilt.