Raleigh Lawn Party – 26 October 2019

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
lindyhopper
Victor Jr

Raleigh Lawn Party – 26 October 2019

Post by lindyhopper »

(I wasn't allowed to post in Society News, and this seemed like the next-best section.)

Because of this event’s vintage theme, I felt this free party may be interesting to any of you who live in the Carolinas or Virginia.

Hello, I want to announce the inaugural Raleigh Lawn Party, a jazz-age-themed, public, free event planned for Saturday, October 26, 2019 in Moore Square park, in downtown Raleigh, NC. There isn’t online information yet for this event. There will be live music, space for dancing, and dance performances. Vintage dress is encouraged as we hang out and picnic together.

I am in touch with the organizers, and this could also turn into an opportunity for you to get together and show off your phonographs.

The inspiration for this event is the Jazz Age Lawn Party in NYC (jazzagelawnparty.com), which is also a fantastic event you may be interested in. There are many videos on YouTube if you want to see how that looks. The “jazz age” theme for both events is more focused on the 1920s than the 1930s and 1940s.

I was inspired to seek out phonograph collectors like yourselves because I stumbled across the Bunny Berigan festival in Wisconsin a few years ago, and it was really neat to see and hear the phonographs playing there.

If you want to attend, put this on your calendar and search for online info once the date gets nearer. If you are interested to play and discuss phonographs as a sideshow, let me know and I’ll put you in touch with the organizers.

Cheers,
Kirk
(I don't own any phonographs, I'm just avid about the era.)

chrisg
Victor III

Re: Raleigh Lawn Party – 26 October 2019

Post by chrisg »

Contact the triangle chapter of aaca
http://Www.ncregionaaca.com/triangle They have alot of antique. Cars

Www.tarheelts.com. for model T fords

cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Post by cjstoessner »

Actually, this is something I may be interested in. I set up for a living history event last year in Virginia with a "booth" as if it was 1918. My wife and I were in period attire, "demonstrated" phonographs and had other period merchandise. The concept was as if we were a retailer from the era showing off sample inventory.

Can't commit at this moment - but very interested! Feel free to supply my information to the organizers.

Thanks!
Christopher J. Stoessner
Enthusiast, Collector, Historian
Author of Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and the Granby Phonograph

Founder
James-Gail Co.
www.james-gail.com

lindyhopper
Victor Jr

Post by lindyhopper »

Thanks to you two for the info. I'll pass it to organizers, and I'll keep an eye on this forum topic.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

cjstoessner wrote:Actually, this is something I may be interested in. I set up for a living history event last year in Virginia with a "booth" as if it was 1918. My wife and I were in period attire, "demonstrated" phonographs and had other period merchandise. The concept was as if we were a retailer from the era showing off sample inventory.

Can't commit at this moment - but very interested! Feel free to supply my information to the organizers.

Thanks!

Do you have any pictures?

cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Post by cjstoessner »

Yes! I got motivated and finally imported some pics from my cell phone.... LOL. I just decided to take a few common Grafonolas, a portable unit, and an Edison Home with large brass horn. I don't know about you guys and gals, but I find the general public is just as fascinated with a mass produced Grafonola as an early prototype/rare machine... So, I keep it simple when going to large events. I also have interest in other period items so you will see an early Icebox and rug in the background. My wife and I had fun!

PS, I really hope these pics don't upload sideways as many do. If they do, I will try and post some corrected...
Attachments
wideanaglepic.jpg
wideanaglepic.jpg (140.29 KiB) Viewed 769 times
refrigerator.jpg
refrigerator.jpg (131.08 KiB) Viewed 769 times
GrafonolaswithMGS.jpg
mewithtent.jpg
mewithtent.jpg (85.24 KiB) Viewed 769 times