Columbia AH with asymmetric crank hole--new find

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Columbia AH with asymmetric crank hole--new find

Post by jboger »

Let me begin by telling people how I got this thing. I never buy anything from an on-line auction if the item must be shipped. I simply do not trust that the item will arrive safely. It so happened that my brother from Buffalo was visiting when he spotted the AH at an on-line auction in Buffalo whilst browsing the web. He knew the auction house and knew that it had formerly been exclusively a live, family-run auction serving the local community. Knowing that my brother could pick up the item when he returned to Buffalo, I decided to bid on it. I did and got the item for a reasonable price. As a bonus, this auction house does not charge a buyer's premium. My brother has had the machine for the past several months, but is now visiting again and brought it with him.

The case is in near pristine condition but very dusty, and the motor--the vertical type--is bone dry but runs rather well. It has a leather elbow and a reproducer that employs a thumbscrew to tighten down on the needle.

I have uploaded photos of the elbow and reproducer. The elbow is in great shape, so good in fact that I think it can't be original. Would someone be able to confirm this from my photos? Or is it impossible to tell because modern ones are made the same as old ones? As for the reproducer, I have been unable to locate on the web--including this Forum-- much information about this reproducer other than that the early ones used a thumbscrew same a Victors. I have many of the lever kind; this is my first analyzer with a thumbscrew. There is a problem: I don't have the thumbscrew. It's gone. Is there a solution to this problem?

Anyway here are some of the photos of the elbow and reproducer. I will eventually provide photos of the entire machine.
Attachments
DSCF2407.jpg
DSCF2407.jpg (126.38 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
DSCF2408.jpg
DSCF2408.jpg (95.56 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
DSCF2409.jpg
DSCF2409.jpg (84.22 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
DSCF2412.jpg
DSCF2412.jpg (81.14 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
DSCF2413.jpg
DSCF2413.jpg (74.14 KiB) Viewed 1285 times

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Columbia AH with asymmetric crank hole--new find

Post by JerryVan »

Pretty sure Ron Sitko has thumbscrews. There may also be some reproduction ones on eBay.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

The elbow appears to be an original but can't be for sure certain without seeing it up close. I'm curious as to which auction house in Buffalo did you get this from? (I'm from Buffalo)

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

If you are thinking of Cottone's, no. Too high end. Moyer Auctions.

I will illustrate more off the machine, probably this weekend when some time opens up. Although quite happy with the purchase, the machine does have some issues. I will show these too.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Some photos. The lighting in my house is miserable. I hauled it over to the window. Any other thoughts on the leather elbow as to its originality or lack thereof?
Attachments
DSCF2429.jpg
DSCF2429.jpg (116.51 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
DSCF2428.jpg
DSCF2428.jpg (104.23 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
DSCF2427.jpg
DSCF2427.jpg (124.59 KiB) Viewed 1002 times

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The machine that prompted Victor to introduce the MS. Very nice! Jerry B.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Some more pictures for those interested. I know that this is a well known machine so maybe not of much interest. Here are pictures of the entire machine now sitting in my work area. The traveling arm had broke somewhere near the letter "C" in Columbia and the two pieces had been welded together. I find this to be rather common on these old Columbias. Perhaps that's why so many of them seem to have replacement parts.

I also included photos of the platter that came with the machine. I'm inclined to believe that this came off a later machine. Note the "X-2" cast in the underside. I thought of the Standard X2, but I don't think that model's name has an hyphen between the X and 2. And besides, the Model X-2 has a large size spindle. So a mystery to me that perhaps someone can shed light on. I do have a spare solid cast platter that I could use to replace the one currently on the machine

I can post photos of the motor if anyone is interested. But again I guess if anyone cares to see what it looks like, pictures have been posted on this Forum and elsewhere. I do find the motor unlike any other Columbia motor that I've seen. It has two fiber gears; these are in good shape.

What I haven't found anywhere, but I could be wrong, is a side-by-side comparison of the two different analyzing reproducers, one with a thumbscrew the other with the spring-loaded lever.
Attachments
DSCF2435.jpg
DSCF2435.jpg (125.91 KiB) Viewed 899 times
DSCF2436.jpg
DSCF2436.jpg (93.42 KiB) Viewed 899 times
DSCF2434.jpg
DSCF2434.jpg (115.28 KiB) Viewed 899 times
DSCF2431.jpg
DSCF2431.jpg (115.98 KiB) Viewed 899 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I agree with the others in that the elbow appears from the pictures to be original.

The AH appeared in 4 basic versions. However, the early motor can be found in several variations within the first version. Some aren't serially numbered, and these are thought to be the earliest examples. The red fiber gears are a slightly later version - probably added to quiet down the motor. Your serial number should be stamped on the upper surface of the motor plate.

If you're an APS member, you can access an article on the early style AH (like this one) in the March 2007 issue of The Sound Box (pp. 7-11). All four basic versions of the AH are described and pictured in the June 2016 issue of The Antique Phonograph (pp. 26-29).

George P.