Progress on Kammer & Reinhardt Berliner Repro

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
donniej
Victor III

Progress on Kammer & Reinhardt Berliner Repro

Post by donniej »

There are only so many hours in a day, so I opted to contract out the fabrication on the more tedious bits to a designer/3D printer. They just finished and I'm very excited that this project is moving along. I intend to machine the initial crank, flywheel and the post for the tone-arm out of delrin but if delays run too long, they may also go to the design firm. The horn and reproducer will be the big challenges. There will be two different horns, a steel "funnel" like a Gem or Columbia Q and the more ornate paper mache one, the latter horn will be a challenge...

Anyway, I was too excited not to share the progress.
Attachments
kandr3.jpg
kandr3.jpg (145.8 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
kandr2.jpg
kandr1.jpg
kandr4.jpg
20190624_173541.jpg
20190626_124006.jpg
20190624_215959.jpg

Sidewinder
Victor III

Re: Progress on Kammer & Reinhardt Berliner Repro

Post by Sidewinder »

Will you be marking these in a way, for example stamping "REPRODUCTION" on the hidden parts of the castings or underside of the base?

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I like this project...museums might want one or two of these!

Regarding being able to distinguish from original, wouldn't tapping on the supports give them away? I mean, unless the original parts were gutta-percha or something, I can only imagine that metal would feel a lot different from printed resin.

Maybe one day there will be a easy way to build spring-motors again, in which case we might see a 78rpm renaissance. It would take some doings but now, vinyl records, while more expensive than ever, are cherished by people building very personal collections of favorite titles. Perhaps a new-model gramophone along the lines of a good quality portable or small floor model would attract a crowd.

The K&R is a beautiful machine, if not a practical one, and I am glad to see them re-produced.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Thanks for the replies. The parts will be identifiable as modern, as to how, I've not yet determined.

I've not yet decided on what they'll be made of but they will not be 3D printed. Only some pieces of the prototype have been 3D printed, for the sake of speed. I have way too many projects going on and need all the help I can get...

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

I spent this past Saturday turning down delrin pulleys and the flywheel on a lathe and here's the machine beginning to come together. The spokes still need to be carved out and there's plenty of finish work to do. A reproduction horn was also acquired from Dave Homewood, who also shared the specs with me. I'll be using his horn to make the mold for the "nicer" model horn.
Attachments
kandr parts.JPG
image1(3).JPG
20190702_092839.jpg