O/T—Suggestions/Board Improvements

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: O/T—Suggestions/Board Improvements

Post by MordEth »

Brad wrote:Thanks, My mouse will now live longer and I will gain 1.57 minutes of free time over the remainder of my time on this planet.
Brad,

I suppose that’s almost enough time to listen to a 2M cylinder, but I’ll have to try to optimize the site enough so that you could at least play a full record or 4M cylinder. ;)

You (collectively) might also note that I added in a few more post icons (and I plan on adding more as I make them). If you have any of those that you would like to see (or additional emoticons, for that matter), let me know. I’ll see what I can do.

Norman (WDC) deserves credit for the Edison one; I made it from the avatar that he created.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

If you had tried to attach an image to a private message before and had that fail—it’s now fixed. You can also attach the following types of files:
  • Archives: 7z, ace, bz2, gtar, gz, rar, tar, tgz and zip.
  • Plain Text: c, cpp, csv, diz, h, hpp, ini, js, log, txt and xml.
  • Documents: ai, doc, docm, docx, dot, dotm, dotx, odg, odp, ods, odt, pdf, ppt, pptm, pptx, ps, rtf, xls, xlsb, xlsm and xlsx.
  • Real Media: ram and rm.
  • Windows Media: avi, wma and wmv.
  • Flash Files: swf.
  • QuickTime Media: 3g2, 3gp, m4a, m4v, mov, mp4, and qt.
  • Downloadable Files: mkv, mp3, mpeg, mpg, ogg and ogm.
I will most likely be adding more file types to this list, but if you think of any omissions you’d like to be able to attach to a post or a private message, please let me know.

Expect more improvements and features.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

I just finished making a few more tweaks to the search, which should result in it returning more results. The current settings allow you to search for words 3-20 characters long, and does not limit the search for words that it deems to be too common.

Our current search statistics are:

Total number of indexed words: 13599
Total number of word to post relations indexed: 126149

I think that the search is one of the things that really sets phpBB above ProBoards, and I will continue to make refinements to it (particularly if our members have any input they wish to make).

If you were not already aware of this—you can search within your search results to further narrow the results, and if you view a post or a thread from the search, it will highlight your search string(s).

Let me know if you have any suggestions, questions, or if I can otherwise be of assistance to you.

— MordEth

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

I just wanted to point out that the Featured Phonograph archives are live again (and in my opinion, look better than at our old home), and I am continuing to (slowly) work on improvements.

Currently, we have sections for Victor and HMV, and as we have other machines posted as a Featured Phonograph, we will have other categories (e.g. Edison is coming, I promise). ;)

After a few more tweaks to the search (currently using a maximum character length of 25 per search word), the statistics on that are:

Total number of indexed words: 13907
Total number of word to post relations indexed: 129991

As always, if you have any questions, suggestions, etc. please feel free to reply with them or contact me (or send your suggestions to John).

— MordEth

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

I’ve made a few more improvements to the theme here, and we now have the option of including personal text below your avatar (as we did on ProBoards) both on your profile page and on your posts.

If you look to the left, you’ll see that mine is currently set as ‘Contact me for TMF tech support.’

If you wish to set something for yourself, it can be set here.

As always—let me know if you can think of further improvements you would like to see; I’m working on a lot of different things right now, but I plan to continue to add features and other modifications to this board.

Your friendly internet daemon,

MordEth