O/T—Suggestions/Board Improvements

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
richardh

Re: O/T—Suggestions/Board Improvements

Post by richardh »

Neophone wrote:Fredrik,

I hope if you ever come to the U.S. I get to meet you! :D Great photos!

Regards,
John
Umm, Fredrick...is that you in the leopard skin print posing pouch? :o

RJ 8-)

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

richardh wrote:
Neophone wrote:Fredrik,

I hope if you ever come to the U.S. I get to meet you! :D Great photos!

Regards,
John
Umm, Fredrick...is that you in the leopard skin print posing pouch? :o

RJ 8-)
RJ,

If it is, he's got the legs for a Roman Centurion's uniform. ;)

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Not really a suggestion, but I was wondering... will we be getting a chatroom at some stage?

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Another suggestion. I noticed that whenever I click on a link someone provides in his post it doesn´t open in a new window (as it did on the old board), but it opens in the same window (if you know what I mean). So you can´t just go from one window to another, but you have to use the back and forward buttons in your browser. I can prevent it if I don´t left-click on a link, but instead click right and choose "open in new window". But I liked the old way better, the less I have to click the better.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Shane & Bart,

I hope we can get a chat room going and possible get something going at least once a month.

I agree Bart, I hate the link opening in the same tab or window. It's something about the set-up ProBoards had I think. I'm using Firefox so I can right click and choose either open "in new tab" or "in new window" I slowly getting into the habit of doing it that way.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Fredrik
Victor O

Post by Fredrik »

Umm, Fredrick...is that you in the leopard skin print posing pouch?
I'm afraid it is. But it was many years ago. Today I would look much worse in that outfit...

Fredrik
Desperately seeking more storage space!

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

I have a question. How can I provide an URL in the form of just one word, instead of just typing the entire url into my message?

So instead of http://forum.talkingmachine.info

I want

The Talking Machine Forum

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Bart: Regarding the "links in new browser window" issue, there was a reply from MordEth here.

Btw, MANY MANY MANY thanks to MordEth for his tireless efforts yet again! WE should be giving HIM cards :)

Bill

(Edit: sorry 'bout the colors, I think I chose two different ones.)

Also, Bart...the Wikipedia article on BBCode is here. What I just did, and what you are asking about is the sixth example down the table.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

coyote wrote:Bart: Regarding the "links in new browser window" issue, there was a reply from MordEth here.
Bill,

Thanks for referencing this—I had started to write a reply to Bart, but got sidetracked by going out to shovel snow...I had been drafted as part of the J.F. Bennett South Boston Sidewalk Improvement Committee. If you are not familiar with them, they do good works for the older residents of my street. ;)

I have yet to meet anyone who has not insisted on saying good things about him when I met them (primarily when I venture out and we go somewhere—e.g. the market, drug store, etc.). I know an increasing number of people here because of him. He knows everyone. ;)
coyote wrote:Btw, MANY MANY MANY thanks to MordEth for his tireless efforts yet again! WE should be giving HIM cards :)
If anyone wants to send anything to me (including hate-mail or gripes about how I should hurry up and fix a couple of things), you are certainly welcome to either do a ‘whois’ look-up on any of my domains, or send me an e-mail or private message asking for my address.

If you want it to be a surprise, ask John. ;)
coyote wrote:(Edit: sorry 'bout the colors, I think I chose two different ones.)
No worries, although for future reference, I use #AA0000, and not the two that you chose. ;)

The current system (which I need to compress and am working on now) does not offer this as a color, but as long as you do the color in #RRGGBB (red, green, blue) format (with the leading #), you can do [color=anything]. Eventually I want to include something like this to select and insert color on posts. I will have to see how much work that entails, but I do not see why I would not be able to do it.

With proper motivation and a bit of knowledge, one can do anything, even if you have to learn how to do so, and I know a lot of people who have done just that with a lot of things—I’ve heard John say on many occasions that he learned a lot of what he has done (in terms of servicing and restoring his phonographs) from books and other collectors on forums such as this one.
coyote wrote:Also, Bart...the Wikipedia article on BBCode is here. What I just did, and what you are asking about is the sixth example down the table.
Thank you for linking this, also—I have not yet had a chance to get all of my tutorials back online yet, having been busy with everything else.

It’s nice to see someone else helping pick up my slack.

Thank you all!

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

By the way—in case you hadn’t already realized this, you can create folders in your private messages here, and make filters to handle them, as well.

I am just starting to play with this, and will hopefully be a lot better about being able to respond to everyone thanks to this feature (which ProBoards does not have). Expect to see a tutorial on it when I am more caught up with other things.

I’ve already gotten a lot of responses here, and I lost 500+ private messages on version 1.0 of this place. :evil:

So if I did not reply to you about something there, please send it again over here—I apologize for how many responses I owed various people there.

I’m still at work, making improvements to the theme. Thank you again for all of your support.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.