Unmarked Columbia front mount ID?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ts_13
Victor II

Unmarked Columbia front mount ID?

Post by ts_13 »

I picked up this cool front mount. Everything screams Columbia, but there are no markings. Not even on the reproducer. Ideas?
Attachments
1562358118139-195475597.jpg
1562358068795-633075664.jpg

ts_13
Victor II

Re: Unmarked Columbia front mount ID?

Post by ts_13 »

I do believe I have found the identity. Buddy of mine helped/ told me its an early Columbia AK.

Thanks

T

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

It's not a Columbia AK. The Columbia AK is a very small front mount machine equivalent to a Victor R. The motor in your machine is a single spring motor similar to an AK. The plunger is bigger to fit the larger case. I have this same machine in both a front mount and rear mount. This machine has a larger case with a 10" turntable. The AK has a smaller case with a 7" turntable and has Columbia decals on it. This is a client machine sold by Sears, Montgomery Ward, Spiegel, and lesser known mail order houses. This could also be a premium machine.
Harvey Kravitz

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I'll defer to the knowledge of others, but I think the traveling arm and support arm are a mismatch. The ornate support arm strikes me as the type found on higher grade Columbia machines, whereas the traveling arm is of the type found on Columbia client machines and less expensive Columbia machines, the AA and AU for example. But I've been wrong before. And so I defer to others.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

It looks like the needle would hit or come very close to the spindle so that indicates that the support and traveling arm are correct. It's tough to use a horn that is too large because of the balance point but it looks ok to me. Jerry B.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I think it only indicates that the various machines--whether client, high- or low-end Columbias--were made in staggered sizes, quantized so to speak. So that mismatched parts that are still of the appropriate length does not surprise me. Why re-tool every time a new case design is made? But again I only speculate. What would really be good would be a period advertisement that illustrates this or any other Columbia model with this set-up. These illustrations were drawn with very good precision.

In any case is it really that important how the machine left the factory? It seems to me that many of these machines were altered as soon as they were brought home. I find this machine attractive, and I bet it's fun to take out for a spin.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Hi T,

Nice to see at least two of these machines exist! I posted photos of mine here http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=30669 just over two years ago, and only got one response to my queries (thanks Harvey!). Sadly, I have no new information to add regarding this machine --- but I thought I would link the two posts.

Does anyone have any proof of these machines being sold under a certain name by a certain dealer(s) or store(s)?

T --- Can you please post a clear photo or two of what goes in the hole (just above the crank )in the motor board. I assume it is a screw, but I could be wrong.

Harvey --- How about some pics of your similar two machines you mention?

Thanks for posting,
Bob
Last edited by Pathe Logical on Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Could you post more photos, including the motor?

EDIT: deleted
Last edited by fran604g on Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

Here are a few.
Attachments
1562449368749-2020267293.jpg
1562449317505781146213.jpg

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

Pathé Logical wrote:Hi T,

Nice to see at least two of these machines exist! I posted photos of mine here http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=30669 just over two years ago, and only got one response to my queries (thanks Harvey!). Sadly, I have no new information to add regarding this machine --- but I thought I would link the two posts.

Does anyone have any proof of these machines being sold under a certain name by a certain dealer(s) or store(s)?

T --- Can you please post a clear photo or two of what goes in the hole (just above the crank )in the motor board. I assume it is a screw, but I could be wrong.

Harvey --- How about some pics of your similar two machines you mention?

Thanks for posting,
Bob

HA! Yep another one! This is an odd little bird. I do like it though!