Columbia Viva tonal 720

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
cheryla
Victor II
Personal Text: YouTube: Dyslexic Genius Hurt

Columbia Viva tonal 720

Post by cheryla »

I’m “told” this is rare but can’t find out why. I haven’t seen one sold over $200, so is it rare? If so, why?

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: Columbia Viva tonal 720

Post by AZ* »

Remember, rarity does not always equate to value. There were far fewer Viva Tonals made than the corresponding Victor Orthophonics. The Viva Tonals were less popular when new, and less popular now, hence the low price.

Of course, most collectible phono prices are not what they once were. Credenzas in reasonable shape seem to sell for $300 to $500 now, not the $1000 and up prices of 20 years ago.
Best regards ... AZ*

cheryla
Victor II
Personal Text: YouTube: Dyslexic Genius Hurt

Post by cheryla »

Thanks a lot.

maginter
Victor II

Post by maginter »

The 720 is a neat machine to have.
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

AZ* wrote:Remember, rarity does not always equate to value. There were far fewer Viva Tonals made than the corresponding Victor Orthophonics. The Viva Tonals were less popular when new, and less popular now, hence the low price.

Of course, most collectible phono prices are not what they once were. Credenzas in reasonable shape seem to sell for $300 to $500 now, not the $1000 and up prices of 20 years ago.
Aside from their musical performance the Viva Tonal machines do have distinct and attractive cases- I'd say that any of them would be a more interesting piece than a Consolette

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I used to own a Viva-Tonal 720. Yes they are very rare. No they are not valuable. I tried to sell mine last year at the APS show for $100 in good rebuilt working condition. Since there were no takers, I gave it to a friend. If it has a Heinemann Motor of Quality it is from about 1927. If it has a British Garrard motor it is from the last year, 1928. Columbia abandoned putting their own motors in these 1927-28 phonographs and the cabinets were noticeably cheaper that the earlier 710 or 810 machines from 1926.