Featured Phonograph № 56

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Starkton
Victor IV

Re: Featured Phonograph № 56

Post by Starkton »

By the way, on January 10, 1878, Edison placed a pulley on the axis of his tinfoil phonograph and connected it to a steam engine with a leather belt.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

WOW!!!!.That is so cool.....I mean HOT!!!!.Has one of these survived???.Paillard was also promoting these machines for "exhibition" proposes too.One example was found in the basement of the old Paillard factory in the early 1950's.This machine was used by Paillard as a exhibition model to the masses.Unfortunately,it no longer runs.

Gabriel

Re: Featured Phonograph ??? 56

Post by Gabriel »

[quote="gramophone78"]I thought it was time to heat things up around here. [/quote]

A good friend of mine has one of those in Spain.

http://www.coleccionfb.com/video_sonido24.htm

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

That really is a fantastic machine. Having both horn types that these were marketed with is a great idea too. I'm afraid I'd be hard pressed picking one over the other because they both look so good.
How much "run time" do you get from the motor?

Re: Featured Phonograph ??? 56

Post by Guest »

According to the catalog,you get 12 hours of running time on one tank of fuel.I have not tested this myself.I have noticed that after three or four records it gets very hot inside the case.So hot that I never go beyond that.As for playing the machine.......I play it all the time.It is so easy to opperate once you know what you are doing.I'm not sure how many are still running.I know of 8 myself.There was a put together one at Union a few years ago.However,I'm not sure what was orignal on it.Most feel that besides the cost factor.Many went up in flames and were lost forever.The factory that made the engine was also in Belgium and was destroyed during WW1 and never opened again.So,these were only made for a short time anyway.
One other thing I find interesting...If you wanted the "Oak Leaf" patterned back bracket.It cost you the most(see pic).Most of the surviving models have the "Vine Leaf" pattern.I have both brakets with this machine now.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Sorry,I forgot to login on that post.Here is the page out of the catalog.
100_6059.JPG

frenchmarky
Victor I

Post by frenchmarky »

Brad wrote:
Valecnik wrote:.... I really wonder why ANYBODY would buy wone of these things new when by 1910 there were very good high quality spring motors readily available??? ...
With the glass panels it looks to have been designed mainly for the gee-whiz factor. Sort of like those real expensive atmosheric clocks that wind themselves, they always have the mechanics visible as well.
Thank god they didn't start making every household device run directly by burning raw fuels back then, or the world would have reached 'Peak Oil' about 30 years ago!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Maybe they should have been marketed as a dual purpose machine- listen to music while you bake cakes or roast a turkey!

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

frenchmarky wrote:
Brad wrote:
Valecnik wrote:.... I really wonder why ANYBODY would buy wone of these things new when by 1910 there were very good high quality spring motors readily available??? ...
With the glass panels it looks to have been designed mainly for the gee-whiz factor. Sort of like those real expensive atmosheric clocks that wind themselves, they always have the mechanics visible as well.
Thank god they didn't start making every household device run directly by burning raw fuels back then, or the world would have reached 'Peak Oil' about 30 years ago!
I suppose (as has been mentioned a few posts previous) the big plus was the running time, and the ability to play dozens of records without having to stop and wind up, though I can't imagine running one of these indoors in the summertime.