Help with my first phonograph purchase

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Re: Help with my first phonograph purchase

Post by Victrolacollector »

Jerry B. wrote:
My recommendation, the Brunswick. There is a book written about Brunswick’s, just search the threads.
I had to chuckle when someone named "Victrolacollector" gave an endorsement to the Brunswick. What's next, a name change? :) Both are fine machines.

Victrola X
classic Victrola style +
great mechanism +
looks refinished to me - (a big minus personally)

Brunswick
oak cabinet is more unusual +
motors are generally very quiet +
very versatile (plays all types of disc records) +
pot metal parts are generally not an issue

Bottom line... You can't go wrong with either machine. Jerry Blais

Jerry,

Did not think about that, Victrola Collector endorsing a Brunswick. LOL.

I agree both are fine machines, but a first and maybe a only, a Brunswick may fit the bill if all types of disc records will be played. I started with a Magnola, I thought it was about the best thing since sliced bread. I could play Victors, Edison’s and Pathé with the jewel stylus. In my opinion, Brunswick has the advantage. Machines like Magnola, required the stylus to removed and changed to play the particular record, this may cause additional record wear.

In an ideal world for someone with a lot space, a Victor and Edison Disc side by side would be the way to go.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

First, please accept my congratulations on contemplating the purchase of your first machine. Welcome to a great hobby!

Free advice is worth every penny you pay for it, but here goes: reluctantly, I'd agree that the Brunswick is probably the way to go--IF you have any interest in Edison diamond discs or Pathé vertical cut records.

Neither one is "core" collection material for the beginning collector; what you'll find in the average eBay listing or flea market or garage/attic/estate sale overwhelmingly is standard lateral cut disks on Victor, Columbia, (yes) Brunswick, and countless smaller labels. They're plentiful, and the common issues are cheap.

By contrast, you'll probably find Edison and Pathé records mostly or entirely by specifically searching for them on eBay or in mail/online auction lists, and for the most part any that would actually be interesting will be at a price premium over their lateral cut counterparts.

What you will almost certainly want at first, then, is something that will play conventional lateral 78s. The Brunswick will fill that bill, and it will also play vertical cuts if you wish to dabble in them. Brunswicks are nice machines, well built mechanically and as furniture, and there's something to be said for having one machine that plays everything. That said, the one time I've auditioned a Brunswick machine with the Ultona arm/reproducer, courtesy of a collector friend who owns one that has been properly overhauled, I'd say the sound was just so-so, not terrible but not as good as from a machine designed exclusively for lateral or vertical cut disks.

The Victrola, on the other hand, will play only lateral cut records, but all things being equal it will probably make them sound better than the Brunswick. The trouble is, the Victrola X is just about the most common model of the Victor uprights, and you'll almost certainly have trouble getting your money back out of it later should you choose to sell it. My thinking, then, is that you'd do best to get the Brunswick to start; it will do everything decently, albeit probably not best for anything. Look for a really to-notch, higher model Victrola to supplement it down the line, something like a Victrola XIV or XVI, for instance. Then the Brunswick can serve as your "vertical cut" machine, the Victrola your workhorse for laterals. If, after a while, you find yourself buying a lot of vertical cut records, at that point you can start looking for something more specialized like a good Edison diamond disc player and retire the Brunswick without having spent a fortune. If you decide that you simply aren't interested in vertical cut disks, again, you can shed the Brunswick (or just keep it for sentimental reasons). Meanwhile, you'll have something that will give you a lot of fun and enjoyable, if upgradeable, listening.

To close, if you're not clear about vertical vs. lateral or the differing styli for each, here are a few articles I wrote on the subject:

https://www.tnt-audio.com/vintage/mono-a-mono_e.html
https://www.tnt-audio.com/vintage/stylii_e.html
https://www.tnt-audio.com/vintage/stylii2_e.html

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

I did not know that your web page existed and I am delighted to read your very interesting articles. What a gold mine of information for the audio lover. Thanks for enlightening the forum.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

audiophile102 wrote:
I did not know that your web page existed and I am delighted to read your very interesting articles. What a gold mine of information for the audio lover. Thanks for enlightening the forum.
Thanks! It's actually a "column" in the audio hobbyist webzine TNT-Audio. I'm the "vintage guy"; most of the articles are about current gear with a bias toward good value higher end equipment. Like everyone who writes for TNT, I do it as a labor of love, so I'm really pleased you enjoyed the articles.

Now, let's all go spin some platters! (Or soup cans, if you're so inclined....)

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I'm concerned that the OP hasn't posted back.

Ramiro, since you're new here, to reply to an existing post string, or post a follow up message in a post string you created, all you have to do is scroll down and click on the POSTREPLY button towards the bottom of the page, type your message and click on SUBMIT.

HTH,
OrthoFan

Ramiro83
Victor Jr

Post by Ramiro83 »

Thank you everyone for your replies. I went and saw the Brunswick 212 phonograph ($200.00). The lady stated it belonged to her grandfather and its been in the family since he bought it. The cabinet is in very good condition. The lady stated that it has not been used in a very long time and she has no idea how to use it.

I attached the crank handle to it and the machine was already fully wound, but it will not spin any records. I attempted spinning the record by hand multiple times and it would not take off spinning. The record spinner seemed to be stuck in place.

The lady is asking $200 and will not go down in price.

I dont want to sink in $200 if its not working.

Can i get your thoughts if it can turn into a money pit. Can it be easily fixed?

Thanks again.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Fully wound, but the turntable (record spinner) won't turn? Could be a number of issues.

The turntable's brake may have been engaged.
The turntable's speed selector may have been turned down all the way.
The motor, itself, could be caked with rock-hard grease, preventing the gears from moving.
One of the gears may be chipped or damaged.

If, as the lady told you, the phonograph has not been used for years, sitting with the springs fully wound, most likely the entire motor will have to be serviced, and the springs cleaned and re-greased or replaced. That could add a couple of hundred to the price, depending on where you have to send the motor for repairs.

I think if I were in your position, just starting out in the hobby, I'd continue to look for something that HAS been taken care of and is more or less ready to play--perhaps something with an overhauled motor and restored reproducer (sound box).

Just my two cents.

OrthoFan

Ramiro83
Victor Jr

Post by Ramiro83 »

Thank you very much for your reply. I will be patient and keep on looking for the right one to show up :-)

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Ramiro83 wrote:Thank you very much for your reply. I will be patient and keep on looking for the right one to show up :-)
Many of us have good machines available to new homes. If you tell us approximately where you live, I'm sure you'll hear from people near you who can help.

Ramiro83
Victor Jr

Post by Ramiro83 »

Thank you so much. I live in Tulsa Oklahoma. I am happy to announce that I finally purchased my first phonograph, its a Brunswick. The phonograph does not have a plate with the model or serial number on it. Can you help me identify the model #. I am also going to want to have the diaphragm rebuilt. Any recommendations where i could send it to have it rebuilt? I would normally like to do it myself but I don't want to mess this one up.

Another question, how do you know when to stop winding the machine? I wind it up and it only plays one whole disk, then i have to wind it again for the next disk.

Attachments
IMG_7139.JPG
IMG_7138.JPG
IMG_7137.JPG
IMG_7136.JPG
IMG_7135.JPG