Pot Metal Issues

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Pot Metal Issues

Post by audiophile102 »

I really enjoy my vv 8-12. The sound it produces is amazing. When I opened the back of the machine and examined the pot metal connector and I wondered if there is something I should do to stabilize the cracks. I read that JB Weld works well. Some have suggested that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Do you have an opinion? Click on the contact sheet to examine the photos larger.
ContactSheet-001.jpg
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Pot Metal Issues

Post by Inigo »

Only thinking out loud....
You should try to get newly made aluminium replacements, someone else in the forum may know how to get them.
Meanwhile, for the sake of preserving the airtightness of this connection, I would suggest to cover it completely with another material, which could also serve to make a mold of the parts for future use. This could be plaster, silicone, or clay. The problem would be that when you get to remove the cover material, parts of the badly cracked upper connector would go adhered to the material.
Maybe it would be better to use any spray paint, varnish or wax. That would fill the cracks and seal the connector safely for use and prolongation of life. But this would be a temporary solution while you get the new parts...
Inigo

cheryla
Victor II
Personal Text: YouTube: Dyslexic Genius Hurt

Post by cheryla »

If you have sound issues you could also carefully coat everything with window silicone caulk. Nobody is going to see it because it’s inside the machine. If you try to take the pot metal apart it may break.. I did it to my 8-30 X and the sound is amazing.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Another member’s experience with the same delemma:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=36934

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

audiophile102 wrote:I really enjoy my vv 8-12. The sound it produces is amazing. When I opened the back of the machine and examined the pot metal connector and I wondered if there is something I should do to stabilize the cracks. I read that JB Weld works well. Some have suggested that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Do you have an opinion? Click on the contact sheet to examine the photos larger.
ContactSheet-001.jpg
You could try mixing up some epoxy thinned down just a bit and paint the the epoxy over the entire piece. This should stabilize and fill any cracks. After it is dried apply another coat of epoxy and paint with black paint or gray paint.